ED Confirms Bookstore Arrangements
November 28, 2012
The Department of Education issued a Dear Colleague letter (GEN-1221) on November 28 confirming the common practice of allowing Title IV student aid to be used to cover bookstore charges at the campus-affiliated bookstore, regardless of whether the store is owned and operated by the institution. Confusion had arisen last spring about this during a webcast offered by ED for campus business officers and bursars.
The letter acknowledges the many different models for campus/bookstore relationships. It states that as long as the institution has a contract or other formal legal agreement with the entity operating the bookstore and has obtained proper authorization from the student, the institution may credit the student account with Title IV funds to cover bookstore charges.
The letter goes on to remind institutions about three separate issues: the inclusion of contracted bookstores in campus-crime statistics; when charges for books and supplies are considered "institutional charges" for purposes of the return of Title IV funds; and requirements for disclosure of book prices mandated by the Higher Education Opportunity Act.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis