Draft State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement Released
May 17, 2012The Presidents' Forum, working with the Council of State Governments and with support from the Lumina Foundation, has developed a draft State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) that would allow states to enter into reciprocal agreements and create a template to align home state's distance education requirements.
Your feedback is requested on the document, which explains how institutions would be able to provide distance education to students in all agreeing states without having to go through the expensive process of receiving authorization in each state-an original provision of the program integrity regulations developed by the Department of Education (ED).
The draft proposes a fee structure in which institutions would pay a SARA Policy Board to manage state and institutional participation. The Presidents' Forum estimates this fee would be significantly lower than the cost associated with receiving authorization in all 54 states and territories.
In July 2011, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia threw out the state authorization provision, saying that ED did not provide sufficient notice and an opportunity for comment. Many believe ED still wants to re-introduce the provision and that states will make compulsory their rules even without the federal rule in place.
The agreement "shifts principal oversight responsibilities from the state in which the ‘distance learning' is being offered to the ‘home state' of the institution offering the instruction," say its authors. Note that SARA does not include programs leading to professional licensure-such as nursing, education, or psychology-where a state board or authorizing agency issues the license.
Send your comments to the Council of State Governments, as indicated in the draft.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis