DoD Memorandum of Understanding for Voluntary Education Programs Under Review
October 11, 2011
The Department of Defense (DoD) is requiring institutions to sign a new memorandum of understanding (MOU) by January 1, 2012, in order to continue participating in its Voluntary Education Programs. The largest of these is the Tuition Assistance program, which provides up to $4,500 a year for active duty and reserve personnel to pursue additional education. More than half a million people participated in these programs in 2010.
A number of institutions have found that they cannot agree to some of the provisions in the MOU as drafted. Concerns include requirements about awarding transfer credit, accepting credit card payments, and reporting information about students. Institutions that serve a limited number of service members are probably more likely to have issues, as those institutions that are more heavily involved have probably made the necessary adjustments to their procedures and practices.
NACUBO has joined a coalition of associations to seek modifications and clarifications to the MOU. Discussions with DoD are underway and progress is likely. Institutions that have not yet signed the MOU are advised to hold off on doing so until the results of these efforts are determined.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- ED Tightens New "Gainful Employment" Rules
- GASB Studies Irrevocable Charitable Trusts
- ED Negotiations Focus on Cash Management
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis