DoD Memorandum of Understanding for Voluntary Education Programs Under Review
October 11, 2011
The Department of Defense (DoD) is requiring institutions to sign a new memorandum of understanding (MOU) by January 1, 2012, in order to continue participating in its Voluntary Education Programs. The largest of these is the Tuition Assistance program, which provides up to $4,500 a year for active duty and reserve personnel to pursue additional education. More than half a million people participated in these programs in 2010.
A number of institutions have found that they cannot agree to some of the provisions in the MOU as drafted. Concerns include requirements about awarding transfer credit, accepting credit card payments, and reporting information about students. Institutions that serve a limited number of service members are probably more likely to have issues, as those institutions that are more heavily involved have probably made the necessary adjustments to their procedures and practices.
NACUBO has joined a coalition of associations to seek modifications and clarifications to the MOU. Discussions with DoD are underway and progress is likely. Institutions that have not yet signed the MOU are advised to hold off on doing so until the results of these efforts are determined.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis