DoD Memorandum of Understanding for Voluntary Education Programs Under Review
October 11, 2011
The Department of Defense (DoD) is requiring institutions to sign a new memorandum of understanding (MOU) by January 1, 2012, in order to continue participating in its Voluntary Education Programs. The largest of these is the Tuition Assistance program, which provides up to $4,500 a year for active duty and reserve personnel to pursue additional education. More than half a million people participated in these programs in 2010.
A number of institutions have found that they cannot agree to some of the provisions in the MOU as drafted. Concerns include requirements about awarding transfer credit, accepting credit card payments, and reporting information about students. Institutions that serve a limited number of service members are probably more likely to have issues, as those institutions that are more heavily involved have probably made the necessary adjustments to their procedures and practices.
NACUBO has joined a coalition of associations to seek modifications and clarifications to the MOU. Discussions with DoD are underway and progress is likely. Institutions that have not yet signed the MOU are advised to hold off on doing so until the results of these efforts are determined.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis