DoD Memorandum of Understanding for Voluntary Education Programs Under Review
October 11, 2011
The Department of Defense (DoD) is requiring institutions to sign a new memorandum of understanding (MOU) by January 1, 2012, in order to continue participating in its Voluntary Education Programs. The largest of these is the Tuition Assistance program, which provides up to $4,500 a year for active duty and reserve personnel to pursue additional education. More than half a million people participated in these programs in 2010.
A number of institutions have found that they cannot agree to some of the provisions in the MOU as drafted. Concerns include requirements about awarding transfer credit, accepting credit card payments, and reporting information about students. Institutions that serve a limited number of service members are probably more likely to have issues, as those institutions that are more heavily involved have probably made the necessary adjustments to their procedures and practices.
NACUBO has joined a coalition of associations to seek modifications and clarifications to the MOU. Discussions with DoD are underway and progress is likely. Institutions that have not yet signed the MOU are advised to hold off on doing so until the results of these efforts are determined.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Congress Finalizes FY15 Federal Budget
- ED Proposes Changes to Rules on Teacher Preparation Programs
- The Wait Continues on Tax Extenders and Terrorism Risk Insurance Renewal
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis