Data Show Large Jumps
October 23, 2003
Average tuition for 2003-04 increased from last year by 14.1 percent at public four-year colleges, 13.8 percent at public two-year institutions, and 6 percent at private four-year colleges, according to The College Board's annual survey. A record $105 billion in student aid was awarded in 2003-04, an increase of 12 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars over last year.
The increase in public tuition was the largest in 30 years, a result of sharply lower state appropriations, a weak economy, and increasing enrollments, among other factors. Independent institutions continued to hold their tuition increases down, with annual increases rarely exceeding 5 to 6 percent.
Financial assistance from all sources has increased significantly both this year and over the past 10 years. Within the past decade, institutional grant aid has risen 122 percent, with other sources showing similar increases. This year, the federal government increased its student assistance contribution 11 percent, but 69 percent of the aid was in the form of loans. The average Pell grant rose only 3 percent in constant dollars because of an 11 percent increase in the number of Pell recipients from the previous year.
- Final Rules Issued on the Violence Against Women Act
- FASB Gives Go-Ahead for Exposure Draft on NFP Reporting
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis