Data Show Large Jumps
October 23, 2003
Average tuition for 2003-04 increased from last year by 14.1 percent at public four-year colleges, 13.8 percent at public two-year institutions, and 6 percent at private four-year colleges, according to The College Board's annual survey. A record $105 billion in student aid was awarded in 2003-04, an increase of 12 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars over last year.
The increase in public tuition was the largest in 30 years, a result of sharply lower state appropriations, a weak economy, and increasing enrollments, among other factors. Independent institutions continued to hold their tuition increases down, with annual increases rarely exceeding 5 to 6 percent.
Financial assistance from all sources has increased significantly both this year and over the past 10 years. Within the past decade, institutional grant aid has risen 122 percent, with other sources showing similar increases. This year, the federal government increased its student assistance contribution 11 percent, but 69 percent of the aid was in the form of loans. The average Pell grant rose only 3 percent in constant dollars because of an 11 percent increase in the number of Pell recipients from the previous year.
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis