Data Show Large Jumps
October 23, 2003
Average tuition for 2003-04 increased from last year by 14.1 percent at public four-year colleges, 13.8 percent at public two-year institutions, and 6 percent at private four-year colleges, according to The College Board's annual survey. A record $105 billion in student aid was awarded in 2003-04, an increase of 12 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars over last year.
The increase in public tuition was the largest in 30 years, a result of sharply lower state appropriations, a weak economy, and increasing enrollments, among other factors. Independent institutions continued to hold their tuition increases down, with annual increases rarely exceeding 5 to 6 percent.
Financial assistance from all sources has increased significantly both this year and over the past 10 years. Within the past decade, institutional grant aid has risen 122 percent, with other sources showing similar increases. This year, the federal government increased its student assistance contribution 11 percent, but 69 percent of the aid was in the form of loans. The average Pell grant rose only 3 percent in constant dollars because of an 11 percent increase in the number of Pell recipients from the previous year.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis