Agencies Establish New Procedures for SSNs for Foreign Students
January 15, 2004
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the U.S. Department of State, and the Social Security Administration (SSA) have taken steps to ensure that foreign students and exchange visitors who will be pursuing employment in the United States can be assigned Social Security Numbers. Included is a requirement that SEVIS-authorized institutions provide a fact sheet about the new procedures to international students and visitors prior to their arrival in this country.
The new required actions for foreign students and exchange visitors, which went into effect January 5, 2004, are set forth in a DHS Fact Sheet issued on December 19, 2003. The Fact Sheet calls for
- foreign students/exchange visitors to report to their school or program as soon as possible following their arrival;
- Designated School Officials to follow up by registering the students in the SEVIS system; and
- SSA to assign a SSN to the student if there are no conflicts with agency requirements and the student's/visitor's status in SEVIS.
Refer to the Fact Sheet for additional details and a contact number at the Student and Exchange Visitor Program.
- Task Force Urges Regulatory Reform
- Legislators Take Action on Education, Charitable and Research Incentives
- Associations Comment on College Ratings System
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis