Agencies Establish New Procedures for SSNs for Foreign Students
January 15, 2004
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the U.S. Department of State, and the Social Security Administration (SSA) have taken steps to ensure that foreign students and exchange visitors who will be pursuing employment in the United States can be assigned Social Security Numbers. Included is a requirement that SEVIS-authorized institutions provide a fact sheet about the new procedures to international students and visitors prior to their arrival in this country.
The new required actions for foreign students and exchange visitors, which went into effect January 5, 2004, are set forth in a DHS Fact Sheet issued on December 19, 2003. The Fact Sheet calls for
- foreign students/exchange visitors to report to their school or program as soon as possible following their arrival;
- Designated School Officials to follow up by registering the students in the SEVIS system; and
- SSA to assign a SSN to the student if there are no conflicts with agency requirements and the student's/visitor's status in SEVIS.
Refer to the Fact Sheet for additional details and a contact number at the Student and Exchange Visitor Program.
- Affordable Care Act: Final Rules on Coverage for Adjuncts and Students
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis