Post-9/11 GI Bill
The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act, or new GI Bill as it is often called, provides much more generous postsecondary educational benefits to veterans and, in some cases, spouses and dependents of veterans and members of the armed forces. Unlike benefits under the current Montgomery GI Bill, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) makes payments for tuition and fees directly to institutions of higher education on behalf of eligible veterans, necessitating new systems to exchange information with, and make payments to, institutions. The program became operational on August 1, 2009.
- In-State Tuition Mandates for Service Members, Veterans, and their Families Expanded
(August 4, 2014)
- Deadline to Sign DOD MOU Extended
(July 11, 2014)
- VA Launches Comparison Tool, Complaint System
(February 6, 2014)
- DoD Proposes Changes to MOU
(August 20, 2013)
- Quarterly Meeting with VA Yields Reminders, Recommendations
(August 8, 2013)
- House VA Committee Holds Hearing to Review IT Systems and GI Bill Claims
(February 25, 2013)
- NACUBO Workgroup Meets with VA Staff, Expresses Concerns
(January 14, 2013)
- VA Processes eGroup
- NACUBO, NASFAA Comments on GI Bill Proposed Regulations (Jan. 22, 2009)
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Serving Those Who Serve, American Council on Education initiative
Distance Learning Programs
Overview of the Post-9/11 GI Bill
This audio recording provides a basic overview of the new program, presented by Keith Wilson, director, education services for the VA. Overview of the Post-9/11 GI Bill - Slide Presentation (PDF)
- Right click on the link above.
- Select "Save Target As..." for Internet Explorer, "Save Link as" in Firefox, or "Download Linked File" for Safari.
- Choose a destination folder, and click the Save button.
- Go to the directory containing your download and double-click the MP3 file to open it in your default player.
- Task Force Urges Regulatory Reform
- Legislators Take Action on Education, Charitable and Research Incentives
- Associations Comment on College Ratings System
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis