Students Are Eligible for FTC's Do Not Call Registry
July 7, 2003
Students living in campus housing may list their campus telephone numbers on the Do Not Call Registry rolled out by the Federal Trade Commission last week. Colleges and universities may not list numbers on behalf of students--students wishing to participate in the Do Not Call program need to register their own campus residence numbers. Registration in Do Not Call is free and available online to consumers with e-mail accounts.
The FTC implemented regulations creating the Do Not Call registry in an effort to offer consumers additional protection from telemarketers’ calls. Online registration was made available beginning June 29. Telephone registration opened the same day for consumers in states west of the Mississippi River--including Minnesota and Louisiana. Telephone registration for the entire country will be available July 7.
Beginning in September 2003, telemarketing companies will be required to access the registry and to "scrub" their calling lists by October 1. It is anticipated that individuals who submit their phone numbers to the registry this summer will see a decrease in calls from telemarketers after October 2003.
For more information about the Do Not Call Registry, including online registration, go to http://www.donotcall.gov.
Additional information is also provided on the FTC web site at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/donotcall/media/2003/06/factsheet.pdf
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis