Role of IT in Emergency Management Examined
October 23, 2008
The state of emergency management at colleges and universities came into sharp focus at a recent summit held by EDUCAUSE. "A comprehensive new agenda for emergency management must leverage both the possibilities of new technologies and the critical components of institutional collaboration, planning, and research," agreed participants. A 17-page white paper summarizes the discussion and shares an action agenda that colleges and universities--or the higher education community--might take to move forward.
Key findings addressed the need for campuses to engage in ongoing, cross-departmental, strategic conversations to develop emergency management plans. The traits of a well-planned and executed disaster response plan were identified, as were some of the challenges facing institutions as they seek to be better prepared.
Information technology tools that offer significant opportunities for innovation in emergency management include:
- Emergency communication systems
- Geospatial mapping tools
- GPS technology
- Business continuity planning tools
- Learning management systems and virtual worlds
- Social networking tools
- Virtual emergency operations centers
- Intelligent monitoring
- Data mining and database tracking
- Information sharing
The report concludes with a listing of proactive steps that might be taken to move emergency management forward for higher education institutions individually and collectively. Cooperation and collaboration--both within and among institutions--are repeated themes. Recommendations range from establishment of a multi-campus information-sharing mechanism to using Web 2.0 tools to educate campus communities.
Four members of the steering committee for the multi-association National Campus Safety and Security Project participated in the summit, including project director James A. Hyatt representing NACUBO.
NACUBO Contact: Anne Gross, vice president, regulatory affairs, 202.861.2544
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! 2017 Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: Preparing for Campus Protests and Civil Disobedience