Drop and Take Cover: The Great Shakeout
March 24, 2011
The devastating earthquake in Japan has heightened awareness regarding the need for emergency preparedness in the event of a natural disaster. How prepared is your campus for an earthquake? In order to help you better prepare, the Great Central U.S. Shakeout is being held on April 28 at 10:15 am. This drill is designed to help improve campus preparation and to educate the public about how to protect themselves during a large earthquake. In previous years, the drill has taken place across California. This year, the drill has expanded to include eight states in the central United States.
The drill will focus on the “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” approach:
- Drop to the ground
- Take cover under a sturdy desk or table, and
- Hold on until the shaking stops
These are general guidelines, but practice makes perfect. In order to be ready for an earthquake, it is important to practice this lifesaving approach at least once a year.
The Shakeout is sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. Geological Service, the National Science Foundation, the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program, the American Red Cross, and several states. There are currently 46 colleges and universities registered.
To register your institution and find out what steps you need to take before the drill, please visit the The Great Central U.S. Shakeout website for more information.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Congress Finalizes FY15 Federal Budget
- ED Proposes Changes to Rules on Teacher Preparation Programs
- The Wait Continues on Tax Extenders and Terrorism Risk Insurance Renewal
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis