Drop and Take Cover: The Great Shakeout
March 24, 2011
The devastating earthquake in Japan has heightened awareness regarding the need for emergency preparedness in the event of a natural disaster. How prepared is your campus for an earthquake? In order to help you better prepare, the Great Central U.S. Shakeout is being held on April 28 at 10:15 am. This drill is designed to help improve campus preparation and to educate the public about how to protect themselves during a large earthquake. In previous years, the drill has taken place across California. This year, the drill has expanded to include eight states in the central United States.
The drill will focus on the “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” approach:
- Drop to the ground
- Take cover under a sturdy desk or table, and
- Hold on until the shaking stops
These are general guidelines, but practice makes perfect. In order to be ready for an earthquake, it is important to practice this lifesaving approach at least once a year.
The Shakeout is sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. Geological Service, the National Science Foundation, the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program, the American Red Cross, and several states. There are currently 46 colleges and universities registered.
To register your institution and find out what steps you need to take before the drill, please visit the The Great Central U.S. Shakeout website for more information.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- NACUBO Expresses Concerns with ED Proposal to Expand Federal Financial Responsibility Rules
- IRS Proposes Modifications to 1098-T Reporting
- ED Policy to Require Annual Student Aid Compliance Audits Beginning FY17
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Big Opportunities for Small Institutions
September 20-21, 2016
- 2016 Tax Forum
September 25-27, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives