When thinking about disaster preparedness and recovery, colleges and universities are no different than traditional businesses - they should not operate without a disaster plan. In developing your institution's plan, keep these three elements in mind: the human toll, physical resources, and business continuity. The following are resources to help you develop or refine your plan, respond to and recover from an emergency, and reduce risk through mitigation.
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Safety, Certified
- The Best Defense
- A Shared-Service Approach to Campus Safety
- Ever Ready
- Security 101 for Small Colleges
- Safety From All Angles
- Straight Talk About Data Security
- Accidents Can Happen
- Data Defense
- When Foul Winds Blow
- Florida Atlantic University Continuity of Operations Plan
This report contains the planning required to restore operations and maintain continuity of essential University functions, subsequent to an occurrence which results in damage to University facilities or interruption of services, support systems or the academic mission.
- UC Ready
The University of California, Berkeley has made its robust web-based business continuity planning tool freely available to all colleges and universities.
- Building a Disaster-Resistant University
This report builds on the experiences of six universities to provide a how-to guide to help colleges and universities identify hazards, assess risks, and plan mitigation strategies.
- FEMA Emergency Management Guide for Business and Industry
Download this step-by-step approach to emergency planning, response and recovery for companies of all sizes.
- Partnerships in Preparedness - Exemplary Practices in Emergency Management
In this four-volume compendium (1995 - 2000), FEMA compiles creative ways and means to better utilize the resources that are available at the Federal, State, and local levels of government, as well as in the private and volunteer sectors.
Model Campus Emergency Response Plans
The Disaster Resistant University Project is a matching grant program begun by FEMA as an outreach of that agency's Project Impact to help universities improve life safety and continuity of operations in the event of a natural disaster. Plans from two of the five institutions selected are listed below.
- Florida Atlantic University - Emergency Response Plan
- Arizona Statewide Standard
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Business Continuity Planning
- Society for College and University Planning Resource Center
- University of Washington - Disaster Resistant University
- University of Alaska, Fairbanks - Disaster Resistant University
- University of Utah
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Iowa - Critical Incident Response Plan
- University of Illinois - Disaster Resources
- University of Minnesota - Developing a Plan for Operational Continuity
The following are additional plans or procedures, geared toward smaller colleges and universities.
- Rollins College Hurricane Plan
- Mount Holyoke College Emergency Procedures
- Emergency Planning For People With Disabilities
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's fact sheet addresses the interplay between privacy protections in the Americans with Disabilities Act and employers' needs for information concerning employee physical conditions that may require special arrangements.
- Emergency Procedures for Employees with Disabilities in Office Occupancies
This resource is from the U.S. Fire Administration. To download a copy, type "disabilities" in the search box at the top of the page.
Response and Recovery
- The Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) provides a number of resources on crisis communication. (Some are restricted to members.)
- National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) resource page on National Guard and Reservists rights
- When Tragedy Strikes...What Your Workplace Can Do For People To Ease Pain and Encourage Hope
- Employee Assistance Professionals Association
- U.S. Department of Justice Information on Responding to Hate Crimes and Bias-Motivated Incidents on College and University Campuses
Disaster Recovery Resources
- Disaster Recovery Yellow Pages. This reference publication, compiled by the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), is designed to assist in putting your organization back together after a crisis. A nationwide listing of over 2,000 vendors in over 180 categories such as drying and dehumidifying paper and microfilm records, smoke odor counteracting services, trauma counselors, emergency rental of computer equipment, etc.
Preparedness and Response for Libraries and Archives
- Western New York Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Manual for Libraries and Archives
- Syracuse University Library
- Stanford University - A comprehensive list of resources and links to disaster preparedness and response of paper-based materials.
Mitigation is the cornerstone of emergency management - it's the ongoing effort to lessen the impact disasters have on people and businesses.
FEMA Publications on Mitigation
- Planning for a Sustainable Future: the Link Between Hazard Mitigation and Livability (FEMA 364)
- Rebuilding for a More Sustainable Future: An Operational Framework (FEMA 365)
Director, Distance Learning
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis