Proposed Rules Could Affect College Radio and Television Stations
June 28, 2012
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is seeking comments on its proposed rules which would allow noncommercial educational (NCE) broadcast stations to conduct on-air fundraising activities that interrupt regular radio or television programming for the benefit of third-party non-profit organizations.
Currently, NCE stations are not allowed to conduct fundraising activities that substantially alter regular programming and benefit any entity other than the station itself. FCC staff members occasionally have granted waivers to these rules in extraordinary circumstances, such as a broadcast to raise funds and donations for hurricane relief.
To help broadcasters serve their communities, the FCC proposes to allow NCEs to conduct fundraising activities on behalf of third-party nonprofit organizations. Under the proposed rules, the fundraising activities could not exceed one percent of the station's total airtime
NCEs would be required to file an opt-in notification with the FCC before engaging in fundraising. They would also be required to air disclosures during the fundraising activity, "clearly stating that the fundraiser is not for the benefit of the station itself" and would have to identify the entity "for which it is fundraising and the specific cause, if any, supported by the fundraiser." Stations would have to air those disclosures at the beginning and end of each fundraising program and at least once during each hour of the fundraising program. Lastly, NCEs would have to file an annual report with the FCC describing all fundraising activities.
Comments are due July 23.
Senior Policy Analyst
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET