Paper Outlines Efforts to Thwart Illegal File Sharing
April 8, 2004
A white paper detailing how universities are dealing with illegal peer-to-peer file sharing on campus was released earlier this month by a group of higher education and entertainment industry officials. The paper gives a snapshot of institutional enforcement, education, and network technologies that together may effectively deter illegal file sharing without suppressing legal uses of digital artistic works.
The paper, University Policies and Practices Addressing Improper Peer-to-Peer File Sharing, was authored by the Education Task Force for the Joint Committee of the Higher Education and Entertainment Communities and distributed by the American Council on Education (ACE). This document is a follow-up to a paper distributed by the same group in August 2003, which focused primarily on legal issues of peer-to-peer file sharing.
The newest white paper summarizes the current status of institutional policies governing peer-to-peer activities, and gives numerous examples of institutional response to illegal file sharing on a variety of campuses. Subsections examine efforts to educate campus communities on the consequences of file sharing for the individual, but also for the campus as a whole; new network management technologies designed to thwart file sharers; institutional enforcement activities; and new legal file sharing alternatives to the current model of illegal swapping.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis