Paper Outlines Efforts to Thwart Illegal File Sharing
April 8, 2004
A white paper detailing how universities are dealing with illegal peer-to-peer file sharing on campus was released earlier this month by a group of higher education and entertainment industry officials. The paper gives a snapshot of institutional enforcement, education, and network technologies that together may effectively deter illegal file sharing without suppressing legal uses of digital artistic works.
The paper, University Policies and Practices Addressing Improper Peer-to-Peer File Sharing, was authored by the Education Task Force for the Joint Committee of the Higher Education and Entertainment Communities and distributed by the American Council on Education (ACE). This document is a follow-up to a paper distributed by the same group in August 2003, which focused primarily on legal issues of peer-to-peer file sharing.
The newest white paper summarizes the current status of institutional policies governing peer-to-peer activities, and gives numerous examples of institutional response to illegal file sharing on a variety of campuses. Subsections examine efforts to educate campus communities on the consequences of file sharing for the individual, but also for the campus as a whole; new network management technologies designed to thwart file sharers; institutional enforcement activities; and new legal file sharing alternatives to the current model of illegal swapping.
- IRS Grants Relief from New 1098-T Reporting Mandate
- New Overtime Rule Expected Mid-May
- 1042-S Questions Remain as Scrutiny Intensifies
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives