New Lawsuits Target Music File Sharing on 21 Campuses
March 24, 2004
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) filed a new round of lawsuits accusing 532 computer users of illegally sharing copyrighted music over the Internet. For the first time, the association specifically mentioned the names of 21 higher education institutions where it identified 89 network users swapping songs. The suits do not target the institutions, only specific users on the campus computer networks.
The RIAA began suing illegal file sharers last year, and several high-profile rounds of litigation have followed. The association has never previously disclosed whether it was specifically targeting file sharing over college and university computer networks, although settlements have been reached with several current and former college students.
The speed of litigation initiated by the RIAA may slow significantly, however. A recent court decision by a Philadelphia judge forces the RIAA to file "John Doe" suits individually rather than in one large summary filing. For technological reasons, defendants in the RIAA suits have not been identified by name, only by their unique numerical Internet Protocol addresses. The Philadelphia ruling only applies to a limited jurisdiction, as other judges have allowed the mass filings to proceed.
Information on the legal filings is available on the RIAA's Web site.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis