Final Rules on Education Tax Credits
December 26, 2003
The final regulations on the Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits, published by the Internal Revenue Service December 27, 2002, interpret section 25A of the Code, providing guidance to taxpayers who may claim the credits. Although the 25A rules do not address institutional reporting requirements, a number of provisions are important for colleges and universities. These provisions cover the definition of an eligible educational institution, qualified tuition and related expenses, and the timing of payments.
The final regulations hold, as did the rules first proposed in 1999, that qualified expenses include fees for books, supplies, and equipment used in a course of study only if the fees are required to be paid to the institution for the enrollment or attendance of the student.
The rules also clarify that personal expenses such as room and board, insurance, medical expenses, transportation, and similar personal living expenses are not qualified expenses for purposes of claiming the credits, regardless of whether the fee must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment. Institutions must determine the allocation of bundled fees that combine qualified expenses and personal expenses that are not qualified. The rules became effective on December 26, 2002.
- NACUBO Presses IRS for Relief from 1098-T Penalties
- Tuition Discounts Are Driving Up the Cost of College Says New Report
- FASB Clarifies Earlier Decision and Receives Not-for-Profit Advisory Committee Input
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis