FCC Rules on Prerecorded Calls to Cell Phones
June 14, 2012
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has issued rules that will allow institutions, with prior consent, to continue using recorded messages and autodialers to send university communications to cellular phones.
Colleges and universities often use prerecorded messages to communicate efficiently with students. While the final rules tightened the requirements for telemarketing calls made to mobile telephones, existing rules allowing written or oral consent were maintained for calls that do not include solicitations. No consent is required for calls made to landline telephones.
In 2010, NACUBO, along with the Coalition of Higher Education Assistance Organizations (COHEAO) and the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA), submitted comments to the FCC on proposed rules implementing the Telephone and Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA) that would potentially limit the ability of colleges and universities to reach students and others via cellular phones. The intent of the proposed rules was to have the TCPA regulations mirror Federal Trade Commission rules on telemarketing.
NACUBO was concerned with a provision of the proposed rules that would have required institutions to obtain express written consent from students to contact them on their cell phones using an autodialer. The final rules recently issued do not contain that provision. The FCC leaves it to the caller “to determine, when making an autodialed or prerecorded non-telemarketing call to a wireless number, whether to rely on oral or written consent in complying with the statutory consent requirement.” NACUBO pointed out that student communication preferences have changed, with two-thirds of students today having only a cell phone.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis