FCC Reminds Institutions to Report the Use of Selected Frequencies
September 10, 2012
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has issued a notice listing requirements for certain multichannel video programming distributors, including colleges and universities.
The notice reminds non-cable multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs) that they, like all cable television systems, must notify the FCC if they use frequencies in the aeronautical bands in excess of certain power levels. Examples of non-cable MVPDs include universities, hotels, prisons, and office buildings with in-house cable systems. The aeronautical frequencies cited are within the range of 108-137MHz and 225-400MHz, which correspond to cable channels 14-16, 25-53, and 98-99.
Additionally, non-cable MVPDs that use aeronautical frequencies within their systems "must also comply with the same requirements applicable to cable television systems to prevent signal leakage and must promptly correct signal leakage if it occurs." The FCC explains that these frequencies are important for aircraft communication systems, therefore maintaining accurate information on and the integrity of such systems is a safety issue.
NACUBO suggests that member institutions operating their own campus video systems review their operations and the notice, including the FAQs, to ensure that they are in compliance, as there are penalties for noncompliance.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis