FCC Reminds Institutions to Report the Use of Selected Frequencies
September 10, 2012
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has issued a notice listing requirements for certain multichannel video programming distributors, including colleges and universities.
The notice reminds non-cable multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs) that they, like all cable television systems, must notify the FCC if they use frequencies in the aeronautical bands in excess of certain power levels. Examples of non-cable MVPDs include universities, hotels, prisons, and office buildings with in-house cable systems. The aeronautical frequencies cited are within the range of 108-137MHz and 225-400MHz, which correspond to cable channels 14-16, 25-53, and 98-99.
Additionally, non-cable MVPDs that use aeronautical frequencies within their systems "must also comply with the same requirements applicable to cable television systems to prevent signal leakage and must promptly correct signal leakage if it occurs." The FCC explains that these frequencies are important for aircraft communication systems, therefore maintaining accurate information on and the integrity of such systems is a safety issue.
NACUBO suggests that member institutions operating their own campus video systems review their operations and the notice, including the FAQs, to ensure that they are in compliance, as there are penalties for noncompliance.
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis