FCC Reminds Institutions to Report the Use of Selected Frequencies
September 10, 2012
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has issued a notice listing requirements for certain multichannel video programming distributors, including colleges and universities.
The notice reminds non-cable multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs) that they, like all cable television systems, must notify the FCC if they use frequencies in the aeronautical bands in excess of certain power levels. Examples of non-cable MVPDs include universities, hotels, prisons, and office buildings with in-house cable systems. The aeronautical frequencies cited are within the range of 108-137MHz and 225-400MHz, which correspond to cable channels 14-16, 25-53, and 98-99.
Additionally, non-cable MVPDs that use aeronautical frequencies within their systems "must also comply with the same requirements applicable to cable television systems to prevent signal leakage and must promptly correct signal leakage if it occurs." The FCC explains that these frequencies are important for aircraft communication systems, therefore maintaining accurate information on and the integrity of such systems is a safety issue.
NACUBO suggests that member institutions operating their own campus video systems review their operations and the notice, including the FAQs, to ensure that they are in compliance, as there are penalties for noncompliance.
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis