FCC Filing Deadlines Approach for Institutions Subject to CALEA
January 9, 2007
In the coming weeks, colleges and universities that are subject to the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act will need to file monitoring and system security and integrity (SSI) reports mandated by the act. According to a December 14th notice from the Federal Communications Commission, only facilities-based broadband Internet access and interconnected VoIP service providers subject to CALEA must file.
Note: It is critical for colleges and universities to determine whether or not CALEA applies to their institution. Exempt institutions are not required to submit reports. Many higher education institutions, as private networks, may be exempt from the act. The decision should be based on discussions with legal counsel, campus technical officers, and commerical service providers.
- a legal analysis from the American Council on Education; and
- a guide to "Thinking Through the CALEA Exempt/Non-Exempt Issue" from EDUCAUSE.
For institutions that are subject to CALEA, the monitoring report is due to the FCC by February 12, and the SSI report is due March 12. Copies of both reports and instructions for preparing and submitting them are available on the FCC's CALEA Resource Page.
- NACUBO Expresses Concerns with ED Proposal to Expand Federal Financial Responsibility Rules
- IRS Proposes Modifications to 1098-T Reporting
- ED Policy to Require Annual Student Aid Compliance Audits Beginning FY17
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Big Opportunities for Small Institutions
September 20-21, 2016
- 2016 Tax Forum
September 25-27, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives