FCC Filing Deadlines Approach for Institutions Subject to CALEA
January 9, 2007
In the coming weeks, colleges and universities that are subject to the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act will need to file monitoring and system security and integrity (SSI) reports mandated by the act. According to a December 14th notice from the Federal Communications Commission, only facilities-based broadband Internet access and interconnected VoIP service providers subject to CALEA must file.
Note: It is critical for colleges and universities to determine whether or not CALEA applies to their institution. Exempt institutions are not required to submit reports. Many higher education institutions, as private networks, may be exempt from the act. The decision should be based on discussions with legal counsel, campus technical officers, and commerical service providers.
- a legal analysis from the American Council on Education; and
- a guide to "Thinking Through the CALEA Exempt/Non-Exempt Issue" from EDUCAUSE.
For institutions that are subject to CALEA, the monitoring report is due to the FCC by February 12, and the SSI report is due March 12. Copies of both reports and instructions for preparing and submitting them are available on the FCC's CALEA Resource Page.
- Broad Coalition Presses for Expansion of Employer-Provided Tuition Benefits
- New GASB Standard Tackles Fiduciary Activities
- New Report Details Charitable Giving to Colleges and Universities
- WEBCAST: Planning Components of Civil Discourse
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Student Financial Services Conference