FCC Filing Deadlines Approach for Institutions Subject to CALEA
January 9, 2007
In the coming weeks, colleges and universities that are subject to the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act will need to file monitoring and system security and integrity (SSI) reports mandated by the act. According to a December 14th notice from the Federal Communications Commission, only facilities-based broadband Internet access and interconnected VoIP service providers subject to CALEA must file.
Note: It is critical for colleges and universities to determine whether or not CALEA applies to their institution. Exempt institutions are not required to submit reports. Many higher education institutions, as private networks, may be exempt from the act. The decision should be based on discussions with legal counsel, campus technical officers, and commerical service providers.
- a legal analysis from the American Council on Education; and
- a guide to "Thinking Through the CALEA Exempt/Non-Exempt Issue" from EDUCAUSE.
For institutions that are subject to CALEA, the monitoring report is due to the FCC by February 12, and the SSI report is due March 12. Copies of both reports and instructions for preparing and submitting them are available on the FCC's CALEA Resource Page.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET