FCC Filing Deadlines Approach for Institutions Subject to CALEA
January 9, 2007
In the coming weeks, colleges and universities that are subject to the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act will need to file monitoring and system security and integrity (SSI) reports mandated by the act. According to a December 14th notice from the Federal Communications Commission, only facilities-based broadband Internet access and interconnected VoIP service providers subject to CALEA must file.
Note: It is critical for colleges and universities to determine whether or not CALEA applies to their institution. Exempt institutions are not required to submit reports. Many higher education institutions, as private networks, may be exempt from the act. The decision should be based on discussions with legal counsel, campus technical officers, and commerical service providers.
- a legal analysis from the American Council on Education; and
- a guide to "Thinking Through the CALEA Exempt/Non-Exempt Issue" from EDUCAUSE.
For institutions that are subject to CALEA, the monitoring report is due to the FCC by February 12, and the SSI report is due March 12. Copies of both reports and instructions for preparing and submitting them are available on the FCC's CALEA Resource Page.
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives