ED Issues Guidance on Census Disclosures
September 25, 2009
The Department of Education's Family Policy Compliance Office recently issued guidance for postsecondary institutions regarding the disclosure of student records to the Census Bureau for the 2010 population survey. The letter advises institutions on what information can and cannot be disclosed under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Census Bureau officials will visit colleges and universities between September 28 and October 23 to determine if there are on-campus residence halls, the number of students residing in each building, and the Resident Assistant or contact person for each. This information will then be verified between February 1 and March 12, 2010.
In April and May, the Census Bureau will request that institutions provide "directory information" for students living on campus. This information will include the students' names and resident hall addresses. RAs will be asked to distribute envelopes addressed to each student, containing a one-page questionnaire, and to collect responses.
If forms are not returned, Census Bureau representatives will contact RAs or other university officials to obtain the information sought in the survey. In deciding to provide information, schools must comply with the regulations set forth in FERPA. Under FERPA, an institution is allowed to disclose "directory information" if it has given public notice to all students identifying what information may be disclosed. Students, however, must be given the opportunity to opt out, in writing, to all or parts of the designated "directory information." Some of the information on the census form (sex, ethnicity, race) is not considered directory information under FERPA and therefore may not be released without written consent from the student.
Institutions are encouraged to review the guidance and FERPA regulations and ensure that RAs and others understand how to respond to requests from census takers.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- 2013 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 19-21, 2013
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis