Deadline Extended for Red Flag Rule
October 23, 2008
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced yesterday that it will delay enforcement of its recent identity theft regulations, known as the Red Flags Rule, until May 1, 2009. This will give creditors and financial institutions subject to the FTC rule six more months to develop appropriate policies.
In its announcement, the FTC noted that "some industries and entities within the FTC's jurisdiction have expressed confusion and uncertainty about their coverage under the rule." Further, many entities learned of the requirements too late to be able to comply by the original November 1 deadline. Higher education institutions are likely included in these groups.
The enforcement delay only pertains to the identity theft rules under 16 CFR 681.2. It does not extend to the requirements relating to address discrepancies under 681.1 or change of address requests to card issuers under 681.3.
NACUBO will continue to work with other associations and institutions to provide resources to colleges and universities in complying with the rules. Visit the Red Flags Rule resource page for more information.
NACUBO Contact: Anne C. Gross, vice president, regulatory affairs, 202.861.2544
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis