Deadline Extended for Red Flag Rule
October 23, 2008
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced yesterday that it will delay enforcement of its recent identity theft regulations, known as the Red Flags Rule, until May 1, 2009. This will give creditors and financial institutions subject to the FTC rule six more months to develop appropriate policies.
In its announcement, the FTC noted that "some industries and entities within the FTC's jurisdiction have expressed confusion and uncertainty about their coverage under the rule." Further, many entities learned of the requirements too late to be able to comply by the original November 1 deadline. Higher education institutions are likely included in these groups.
The enforcement delay only pertains to the identity theft rules under 16 CFR 681.2. It does not extend to the requirements relating to address discrepancies under 681.1 or change of address requests to card issuers under 681.3.
NACUBO will continue to work with other associations and institutions to provide resources to colleges and universities in complying with the rules. Visit the Red Flags Rule resource page for more information.
NACUBO Contact: Anne C. Gross, vice president, regulatory affairs, 202.861.2544
- Final Rules Issued on the Violence Against Women Act
- FASB Gives Go-Ahead for Exposure Draft on NFP Reporting
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis