Colleges Retain Portion of Broadcast Spectrum
June 15, 2004
The Federal Communications Commission voted last week to allow educational institutions to retain ownership of a portion of the broadcast spectrum that has been assigned to them for decades.
A proposal under consideration would have allowed corporate interests to develop a portion of the Instructional Television Fixed Service with technologies including digital broadcasting. Colleges and other organizations successfully lobbied against the proposal.
The vote is meaningful because institutions very effectively use the spectrum to deliver distance education. Also, some universities generate extra revenue by leasing unused spectrum to companies such as Sprint Communications. Thanks to the commission’s decision, institutions will be able to maintain those leases. In their decision, the FCC asked institutions to forfeit a small portion of underused spectrum.
The FCC is expected to release a document providing details of the ruling. In three years they could reconsider the same plan, and evaluate whether educational institutions are promoting digital broadcasting, as college officials have said they would.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis