I want to... Play music using a jukebox
September 13, 2013
Jukebox licensing agreement.
Under the 1976 Copyright Act, jukeboxes were subject to a compulsory license issued by the U.S. Copyright Office under rates set by the Copyright Tribunal. A 1988 amendment to the Copyright Act provided for suspension of the compulsory license if agreement on a negotiated license was reached. In 1990, a jukebox licensing agreement took effect that was negotiated between the performing rights organizations and the Amusement and Music Operations Association.
Under the agreement, a new Jukebox Licensing Office was created to issue licenses and a fee schedule was devised. Jukebox owners pay a single combined fee rather than pay each performing rights organization separately. Licensed jukeboxes should display a sticker on the front indicating that the license fee has been paid. College and universities generally do not own and operate their own jukeboxes, but permit a vendor to use campus space in exchange for a share of the proceeds. In this case, the vendor should be responsible for the license, although institutions should check to be sure that the fee has been paid. The institution will only be liable if it fails to disclose the identity of the vendor upon request.
If the institution owns and operates a jukebox, contact the Jukebox Licensing Office to pay licensing fee. If an outside vendor owns and operates a jukebox on campus, ensure that the fee has been paid by reviewing the sticker on the jukebox.
Rates are based on the number of jukeboxes owned. A license fee for an organization owning one jukebox is significantly higher than the fee per jukebox of an organization owning multiple jukeboxes. Rates are available on the Jukebox Licensing Office website.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis