I want to... Play music using a jukebox
September 13, 2013
Jukebox licensing agreement.
Under the 1976 Copyright Act, jukeboxes were subject to a compulsory license issued by the U.S. Copyright Office under rates set by the Copyright Tribunal. A 1988 amendment to the Copyright Act provided for suspension of the compulsory license if agreement on a negotiated license was reached. In 1990, a jukebox licensing agreement took effect that was negotiated between the performing rights organizations and the Amusement and Music Operations Association.
Under the agreement, a new Jukebox Licensing Office was created to issue licenses and a fee schedule was devised. Jukebox owners pay a single combined fee rather than pay each performing rights organization separately. Licensed jukeboxes should display a sticker on the front indicating that the license fee has been paid. College and universities generally do not own and operate their own jukeboxes, but permit a vendor to use campus space in exchange for a share of the proceeds. In this case, the vendor should be responsible for the license, although institutions should check to be sure that the fee has been paid. The institution will only be liable if it fails to disclose the identity of the vendor upon request.
If the institution owns and operates a jukebox, contact the Jukebox Licensing Office to pay licensing fee. If an outside vendor owns and operates a jukebox on campus, ensure that the fee has been paid by reviewing the sticker on the jukebox.
Rates are based on the number of jukeboxes owned. A license fee for an organization owning one jukebox is significantly higher than the fee per jukebox of an organization owning multiple jukeboxes. Rates are available on the Jukebox Licensing Office website.
- NACUBO Expresses Concerns with ED Proposal to Expand Federal Financial Responsibility Rules
- IRS Proposes Modifications to 1098-T Reporting
- ED Policy to Require Annual Student Aid Compliance Audits Beginning FY17
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting Fall
October 24-25, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives