College and University Business Administration - Governance Chapter
As core members of executive management, chief business officers are key players in campus administration. But they also have a crucial role to play in support of the governance process: as a source of information for the board, as the administrative liaison to board committees, and as a trusted advisor to the president. The importance of the CBO role will only continue to increase as more of the board's attention is focused on debt, investments, liquidity, and potentially financial viability.
There are two ways to approach governance in higher education. The first is through a study of governing boards, delegation of authority, and accountability. The alternative approach is shared governance, a deceptively antiseptic term that obscures the complex and sometimes messy realities of institutional history, real and presumed faculty prerogatives, and opaque decision-making.
Learn more in the complimentary Governance chapter of College and University Business Administration.
The Governance chapter is sponsored by the following:
In order to access the free chapter, please enter the following information to help us better understand who is interested in this topic and find the best way to deliver this information to you.
- Final Rules Issued on the Violence Against Women Act
- FASB Gives Go-Ahead for Exposure Draft on NFP Reporting
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis