College and University Business Administration - Governance Chapter
As core members of executive management, chief business officers are key players in campus administration. But they also have a crucial role to play in support of the governance process: as a source of information for the board, as the administrative liaison to board committees, and as a trusted advisor to the president. The importance of the CBO role will only continue to increase as more of the board's attention is focused on debt, investments, liquidity, and potentially financial viability.
There are two ways to approach governance in higher education. The first is through a study of governing boards, delegation of authority, and accountability. The alternative approach is shared governance, a deceptively antiseptic term that obscures the complex and sometimes messy realities of institutional history, real and presumed faculty prerogatives, and opaque decision-making.
Learn more in the complimentary Governance chapter of College and University Business Administration.
The Governance chapter is sponsored by the following:
In order to access the free chapter, please enter the following information to help us better understand who is interested in this topic and find the best way to deliver this information to you.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis