College and University Business Administration - Governance Chapter
As core members of executive management, chief business officers are key players in campus administration. But they also have a crucial role to play in support of the governance process: as a source of information for the board, as the administrative liaison to board committees, and as a trusted advisor to the president. The importance of the CBO role will only continue to increase as more of the board's attention is focused on debt, investments, liquidity, and potentially financial viability.
There are two ways to approach governance in higher education. The first is through a study of governing boards, delegation of authority, and accountability. The alternative approach is shared governance, a deceptively antiseptic term that obscures the complex and sometimes messy realities of institutional history, real and presumed faculty prerogatives, and opaque decision-making.
Learn more in the complimentary Governance chapter of College and University Business Administration.
The Governance chapter is sponsored by the following:
In order to access the free chapter, please enter the following information to help us better understand who is interested in this topic and find the best way to deliver this information to you.
- ED Provides Guidance and Proposes New Forms for Perkins Loans
- GASB Issues Proposal on Split-Interest Agreements
- ED Advances Plans for New Student Loan Repayment Option
- WEBCAST: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
- ON-DEMAND: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis