Report Describes New Approach to Managing Ethical Performance
June 29, 2005
“What would it take for us to embed ethics in our businesses and institutions of higher education?” That was the key question that motivated the Business-Higher Education Forum (BHEF) Ethics Initiative. The answer is explained in Embedding Ethics in Business and Higher Education: From Leadership to Management Imperative, a recently released BHEFreport outlining a new approach to incorporating ethics into organizational culture. The objectives of the initiative include: diagnosing the problem of corporate corruption; understanding how organizational ethics is currently managed; developing a means of weaving ethics into the fabric of an organization and testing application of that strategy to college campuses. The methodology described in the report builds on the success of recent quality management initiatives and draws parallels between managing quality and ethical performance in an organization.
The principles of improving ethical performance described are applicable to both business and institutions of higher education. The authors recognize that colleges and universities have both unique ethical challenges, such as intercollegiate athletics, medical centers and commercially sponsored research and development, and a mission to student moral development that their corporate counterparts do not. As a result, the report includes a chapter specific to the distinct challenges of higher education institutions.
For more information about the Business-Higher Education Forum, visit their web site.
- College Endowments Average -1.9 Percent Return in FY16, But Endowment Spending Continues to Rise
- Preparing for a Game-Changing Era
- Some Football Players at Private Institutions are Employees, NLRB Says
- WEBCAST: Planning Components of Civil Discourse
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Student Financial Services Conference