Proposed Rules Establish Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors
June 24, 2014
The Department of Labor (DOL) published a June 17 notice of proposed rulemaking relating to Executive Order 13658, which established a minimum wage for federal contractors. The Executive Order (EO)—signed by President Obama on February 12, 2014—raises the minimum wage on covered federal contracts from $7.25 to $10.10 per hour, beginning January 1, 2015, and to be indexed annually thereafter for inflation.
The Executive Order applies to:
- contracts for construction covered by the Davis-Bacon Act that exceed $2,000;
- contracts for services covered by the Service Contract Act that exceed $2,500;
- concessions contracts (for food, lodging, fuel, souvenirs, newspaper stands, or recreational equipment on federal property); and
- contracts to provide services, such as child care or dry cleaning, in federal buildings.
In procurement contracts where workers' wages are governed by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Executive Order applies only to contracts that exceed $3,000.
The higher wage will apply to new contracts and replacements for expiring contracts. Federal agencies will be required to include a clause in all covered contracts that specifies the minimum wage must be paid to the workers under that contract.
The Executive Order does not apply to grants, and some contracts are explicitly exempt under the Order (those with Indian Tribes under the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act). It also permits DOL to create additional exemptions. The notice proposes exempting student workers.
DOL also clarifies in the notice that the EO does not apply to executive, administrative and professional employees who are exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act's overtime requirements.
A final rule is expected from DOL by October 1.
Director, Tax Policy
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis