New Guidance on Layoffs Released
January 15, 2009
In late December NACUBO released, Staff Layoffs and Reductions in Force--Managing the Risk, co-sponsored by the American Council on Education and United Educators, designed to help campus administrators and institutional managers develop strategies on adjusting staffing levels during the economic downturn.
Should layoffs become necessary campus administrators must be fully aware of employee rights as well the associated legal risks. The monograph, written by Martin Michaelson, an attorney at Hogan & Hartson, and Lawrence White, a higher education consultant, reviews the legal risks associated with staff layoffs and suggests practices institutions may use to effectively manage those risks.
In addition to discussing intelligent planning, well-designed procedures, and legally defensible operating standards, the paper also considers the effect layoffs may have on remaining employees.
The paper is not intended to provide legal advice; institutions should consult legal counsel who are experienced with the issues addressed.
Full Monograph: Staff Layoffs and Reductions in Force - Managing the Risks
NACUBO Contact: Tadu Yimam, policy analyst
- Tax Overhaul Would Impact Students, Employees, and Campus Finances
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis