New Guidance on Layoffs Released
January 15, 2009
In late December NACUBO released, Staff Layoffs and Reductions in Force--Managing the Risk, co-sponsored by the American Council on Education and United Educators, designed to help campus administrators and institutional managers develop strategies on adjusting staffing levels during the economic downturn.
Should layoffs become necessary campus administrators must be fully aware of employee rights as well the associated legal risks. The monograph, written by Martin Michaelson, an attorney at Hogan & Hartson, and Lawrence White, a higher education consultant, reviews the legal risks associated with staff layoffs and suggests practices institutions may use to effectively manage those risks.
In addition to discussing intelligent planning, well-designed procedures, and legally defensible operating standards, the paper also considers the effect layoffs may have on remaining employees.
The paper is not intended to provide legal advice; institutions should consult legal counsel who are experienced with the issues addressed.
Full Monograph: Staff Layoffs and Reductions in Force - Managing the Risks
NACUBO Contact: Tadu Yimam, policy analyst
- Lawmakers Introduce Bills to Simplify Student Aid
- CFPB Proposes Draft Template for Student Banking Options
- Data on Campus Law Enforcement Released
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis