New Guidance on Layoffs Released
January 15, 2009
In late December NACUBO released, Staff Layoffs and Reductions in Force--Managing the Risk, co-sponsored by the American Council on Education and United Educators, designed to help campus administrators and institutional managers develop strategies on adjusting staffing levels during the economic downturn.
Should layoffs become necessary campus administrators must be fully aware of employee rights as well the associated legal risks. The monograph, written by Martin Michaelson, an attorney at Hogan & Hartson, and Lawrence White, a higher education consultant, reviews the legal risks associated with staff layoffs and suggests practices institutions may use to effectively manage those risks.
In addition to discussing intelligent planning, well-designed procedures, and legally defensible operating standards, the paper also considers the effect layoffs may have on remaining employees.
The paper is not intended to provide legal advice; institutions should consult legal counsel who are experienced with the issues addressed.
Full Monograph: Staff Layoffs and Reductions in Force - Managing the Risks
NACUBO Contact: Tadu Yimam, policy analyst
- NACUBO Responds to FASB's NFP Proposal
- Results Are In: The 2014 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
- NLRB Dismisses Union Bid from Northwestern Football Players
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis