INS Expands Mandatory Registration Program
January 15, 2003
Under a December 18 notice from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), foreign nationals from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia who entered the United States prior to September 30, 2002, and will remain after February 21, 2003, need to register with the INS by February 21. These special registration procedures were established by the Attorney General as part of the National Security Entry—Exit Registration System (NSEERS).
Males who are 16 or older and possess nonimmigrant visas are required to appear at an INS office to register under NSEERS and to provide additional information. Previous notices have applied to nonimmigrant nationals from Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
Once enrolled in the NSEERS program, individuals are required to register annually with INS. Failure to comply with the registration requirements can result in a loss of nonimmigrant status for a foreign visitor. Additional information and instructions are provided on the INS Web site at www.ins.gov.
New INS Notices for Mandatory Registration System
On January 16, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) announced a fourth call-in group under its mandatory registration system for foreign nationals. This group is comprised of nonimmigrant males 16 and older from Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, and Kuwait. They need to register in person at an INS office between February 24 and March 28.
INS also reopened the registration period for the first two call-in groups. (It had previously ended first on December 16 and then on January 10.) This affects men from Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen who have not yet registered. They will have a second chance to register between January 27 and February 7.
Related Federal Register Updates
Registration of Certain Nonimmigrant Aliens from Designated Countries (January 16, 2003)
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives