Health Care Costs Continue to Escalate
October 16, 2006
Eighty-one percent of colleges reported that they faced increased health care costs during 2005, according to an annual study conducted by the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR)—similar to the 78 percent reporting an increase in the 2004 study. The median percent increase in total average costs of health and dental insurance among the 423 participating institutions was nine percent for the year, with the median cost of an institution’s medical and dental plans per employee (including both institution and employee costs) reaching $5,652.
Other highlights of the study include the following:
- Eleven percent of colleges reported that some health care benefits were reduced during the year.
- The percent of institutions offering health care benefits for non-Medicare and Medicare-eligible retirees are 58 percent and 49 percent, respectively.
- The percent of institutions offering health care benefits for same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners are approximately 40 percent and 30 percent, respectively.
- Almost half of the institutions in the study offer long-term care programs to their employees.
- Thirteen percent of institutions use a salary-based tiered system to determine employee health care premiums.
The full report is available for sale on the CUPA-HR Web site. For more information on human resource issues, consider subscribing to NACUBO's HR Horizons. This new quarterly publication is delivered electronically and explores human resource issues of strategic importance to higher education chief business officers and the impact of these concerns to institutional decision making and financial health.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis