Health Care Costs Continue to Escalate
October 16, 2006
Eighty-one percent of colleges reported that they faced increased health care costs during 2005, according to an annual study conducted by the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR)—similar to the 78 percent reporting an increase in the 2004 study. The median percent increase in total average costs of health and dental insurance among the 423 participating institutions was nine percent for the year, with the median cost of an institution’s medical and dental plans per employee (including both institution and employee costs) reaching $5,652.
Other highlights of the study include the following:
- Eleven percent of colleges reported that some health care benefits were reduced during the year.
- The percent of institutions offering health care benefits for non-Medicare and Medicare-eligible retirees are 58 percent and 49 percent, respectively.
- The percent of institutions offering health care benefits for same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners are approximately 40 percent and 30 percent, respectively.
- Almost half of the institutions in the study offer long-term care programs to their employees.
- Thirteen percent of institutions use a salary-based tiered system to determine employee health care premiums.
The full report is available for sale on the CUPA-HR Web site. For more information on human resource issues, consider subscribing to NACUBO's HR Horizons. This new quarterly publication is delivered electronically and explores human resource issues of strategic importance to higher education chief business officers and the impact of these concerns to institutional decision making and financial health.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET