Faculty and Administrator Salary Increases Keep Pace With Inflation
March 20, 2006
Median faculty salaries at four-year institutions and administrator compensation kept pace with inflation, increasing 3.4 percent and 3.5 percent, respectively, in 2005-06, according to the annual salary surveys released by the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR). However, mid-level administrative and professional staff experienced a median increase of 3.3 percent, lower than the rate of inflation and the lowest increase this year among surveyed faculty, staff, and administrators. CUPA-HR has collected salary data from faculty, administrators, and staff for several decades.
Among this year’s findings:
- Administrators experienced the biggest gains among the surveyed groups (median increase of 3.5 percent), with executives receiving the largest salary increase within the administrator group (4 percent).
- Median faculty salary increases at independent four-year institutions were substantially higher than the increases for faculty at public four-year institutions; 3.7 percent versus 3.1 percent.
- On average, faculty in legal professions and studies are the highest paid among the disciplines at both public and independent four-year institutions. The lowest average faculty salaries are in the discipline of English Languages and Literature/Letters at public four-year institutions and in the discipline of Library Science at independent four-year institutions.
- The mid-level administrative and professional staff at associate’s colleges experienced the largest increase in salary (3.7 percent) compared to any four-year institutional classification.
For more information about these surveys visit the CUPA-HR Web site. On March 31, CUPA-HR will release its survey of faculty salaries at community colleges.
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis