Faculty and Administrator Salary Increases Keep Pace With Inflation
March 20, 2006
Median faculty salaries at four-year institutions and administrator compensation kept pace with inflation, increasing 3.4 percent and 3.5 percent, respectively, in 2005-06, according to the annual salary surveys released by the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR). However, mid-level administrative and professional staff experienced a median increase of 3.3 percent, lower than the rate of inflation and the lowest increase this year among surveyed faculty, staff, and administrators. CUPA-HR has collected salary data from faculty, administrators, and staff for several decades.
Among this year’s findings:
- Administrators experienced the biggest gains among the surveyed groups (median increase of 3.5 percent), with executives receiving the largest salary increase within the administrator group (4 percent).
- Median faculty salary increases at independent four-year institutions were substantially higher than the increases for faculty at public four-year institutions; 3.7 percent versus 3.1 percent.
- On average, faculty in legal professions and studies are the highest paid among the disciplines at both public and independent four-year institutions. The lowest average faculty salaries are in the discipline of English Languages and Literature/Letters at public four-year institutions and in the discipline of Library Science at independent four-year institutions.
- The mid-level administrative and professional staff at associate’s colleges experienced the largest increase in salary (3.7 percent) compared to any four-year institutional classification.
For more information about these surveys visit the CUPA-HR Web site. On March 31, CUPA-HR will release its survey of faculty salaries at community colleges.
- Total Undergraduate Enrollment Projected to Increase 14 Percent by 2025
- IRS Explains Forms 1042-S Solution
- NACUBO Responds to GASB's Lease Proposal
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives