Executive Order Issued Requiring Use of E-Verify
July 7, 2008
On June 6, 2008, President Bush issued an Executive Order requiring all federal contractors to use the Department of Homeland Security's E-Verify employment verification system once they enter into a contract with an Executive Department or Agency. On June 12, a rule was proposed by the agencies responsible for federal acquisition regulations (FAR) that implemented the Executive Order. E-Verify is the federal government's automated system that allows employers to verify job applicants' eligibility to work in the United States. The E-Verify system has been problematic since its inception in 1996 and many in the business community have expressed concern about E-Verify's error rate. The notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) contained a 60-day comment period, and final rules are expected after August 11, 2008.
It is unclear how many colleges and universities will be affected by the new rule, or what the implications will be for institutions participating in Title IV programs.
Key elements of the rule are:
1. The contractor will enroll in the E-Verify program within 30 days of the date a contract is awarded, and within 30 days, use E-Verify to confirm employment authorization.
2. The contractor will used E-Verify for all new hires within 3 days of the date of hire for all employees hired after the contract is awarded.
3. Use of E-Verify is required for all contracts in excess of $3,000.
Additional information is available through CUPA-HR.
More recently (June 24) the House Appropriations Committee rejected an extension of the E-Verify program, thereby allowing the program to expire on November 30, 2008. However, NACUBO and our partner associations will continue to monitor the issue. Concerned institutions may want to explore enrolling in E-Verify as a precautionary measure.
- ED Launches New College Scorecard
- NACUBO Members Convey Legislative Priorities on Capitol Hill
- Panelists Detail Complex Campus Sexual Assault Regulations at Hearing
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis