Executive Order Issued Requiring Use of E-Verify
July 7, 2008
On June 6, 2008, President Bush issued an Executive Order requiring all federal contractors to use the Department of Homeland Security's E-Verify employment verification system once they enter into a contract with an Executive Department or Agency. On June 12, a rule was proposed by the agencies responsible for federal acquisition regulations (FAR) that implemented the Executive Order. E-Verify is the federal government's automated system that allows employers to verify job applicants' eligibility to work in the United States. The E-Verify system has been problematic since its inception in 1996 and many in the business community have expressed concern about E-Verify's error rate. The notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) contained a 60-day comment period, and final rules are expected after August 11, 2008.
It is unclear how many colleges and universities will be affected by the new rule, or what the implications will be for institutions participating in Title IV programs.
Key elements of the rule are:
1. The contractor will enroll in the E-Verify program within 30 days of the date a contract is awarded, and within 30 days, use E-Verify to confirm employment authorization.
2. The contractor will used E-Verify for all new hires within 3 days of the date of hire for all employees hired after the contract is awarded.
3. Use of E-Verify is required for all contracts in excess of $3,000.
Additional information is available through CUPA-HR.
More recently (June 24) the House Appropriations Committee rejected an extension of the E-Verify program, thereby allowing the program to expire on November 30, 2008. However, NACUBO and our partner associations will continue to monitor the issue. Concerned institutions may want to explore enrolling in E-Verify as a precautionary measure.
- NACUBO Expresses Concerns with ED Proposal to Expand Federal Financial Responsibility Rules
- IRS Proposes Modifications to 1098-T Reporting
- ED Policy to Require Annual Student Aid Compliance Audits Beginning FY17
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Big Opportunities for Small Institutions
September 20-21, 2016
- 2016 Tax Forum
September 25-27, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives