College President Salaries Increase
November 16, 2004
Fifty-nine college presidents now earn $500,000 or more annually, according to a recent survey of college and university CEOs byThe Chronicle of Higher Education. Of 591 independent college presidents surveyed, 42 earned a half-million dollars or more in 2004, as did 17 of the 131 public college leaders surveyed. Those numbers represent increases of 56 percent and 41 percent respectively from the previous year.
The increase in compensation is due in large part to the rise in pay at for-profit companies, from which many college and university board members hail. In addition, salaries of college presidents are increasingly supplemented by private funds, according toThe Chronicle.
Median salary levels remain noticeably lower than the top end of the survey scale. The median salary for public university presidents is $328,400 in 2004, and about one third of independent university presidents earned between $200,000 and $300,000 during the last fiscal year.
More information is available at The Chronicle’s Web site.
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis