College President Salaries Increase
November 16, 2004
Fifty-nine college presidents now earn $500,000 or more annually, according to a recent survey of college and university CEOs byThe Chronicle of Higher Education. Of 591 independent college presidents surveyed, 42 earned a half-million dollars or more in 2004, as did 17 of the 131 public college leaders surveyed. Those numbers represent increases of 56 percent and 41 percent respectively from the previous year.
The increase in compensation is due in large part to the rise in pay at for-profit companies, from which many college and university board members hail. In addition, salaries of college presidents are increasingly supplemented by private funds, according toThe Chronicle.
Median salary levels remain noticeably lower than the top end of the survey scale. The median salary for public university presidents is $328,400 in 2004, and about one third of independent university presidents earned between $200,000 and $300,000 during the last fiscal year.
More information is available at The Chronicle’s Web site.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis