CUPA-HR Webinar Series
December 20, 2004
CUPA-HR Webinar Series -- Trends and Issues in HR Management
CUPA-HR will host a series of Webinars beginning in January, 2005 that may be of interest to NACUBO members. NACUBO members will be offered the CUPA-HR member rate of $85 per program. Each Webinar, designed to explore the latest trends and issues in higher education HR management, will consist of a 45-minute presentation followed by a 15-minute Q&A session.
New 403(b) Guidance -- January 13, 2005
Presenter: Bob Barley, vice president, and Linda Segal Blinn, national director of Technical Services, both of ING
Facilitator: Wendy Finch, director of Human Resources , Central Wyoming College
Description: The much-anticipated IRS guidance on 403(b) tax deferred annuity programs has been released and new rules are expected to be in place for the 2006 tax year. The November 16, 2004 IRS Notice of proposed rulemaking changes, clarifies, and confirms elements of your college or university's 403(b) program by simplifying existing definitions and setting requirements covering elective deferrals, determination of years of service, nondiscrimination rules and universal availability, timing of distributions and benefits, and funding of plans. Learn about the changes your college or university will need to consider and how best to plan for 2006.
Designing Effective HR Metrics -- January 20, 2005
Presenter: Phil Smith, director of Human Resources Planning & Strategy, University of Michigan
Facilitator: Laurie Charest, associate vice chancellor for Human Resources, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
Description: HR professionals are increasingly called upon to demonstrate their impact and effectiveness. Learn about the underlying principles and definitions used in the development of HR metrics and explore metrics in place at colleges and universities across the country.
A New Approach to Funding Retiree Health Plans -- February 3, 2005
Presenters: Diane Schell, associate director of Human Resources, Trinity College, and Ed Powers and Garry Straker, both partners with Powers & Straker
Facilitator: Kathleen Reddick, professor and director of the Graduate Program in Management, College of Saint Elizabeth
Description: Colleges and universities are struggling to afford the cost increases associated with defined benefit retiree health plans. Recent Medicare changes and health reimbursement arrangements offer the higher education community new cost savings options. Learn how to replace a defined benefit plan with a defined contribution plan that can reduce FAS 106 liability and facilitate early retirements while meeting or exceeding current coverage options.
Pre-Employment Background Checks: Lessons From the Trenches -- February 17, 2005
Presenters: Amy King, Employment Services manager, University of Denver; Dean Pickett, legal counsel for Northern Arizona University and senior partner with Mangum, Wall, Stoops & Warden, PLLC; and Diane Verkest, director of Human Resources, Northern Arizona University
Facilitator: Allison Vaillancourt, assistant vice president for Human Resources, The University of Arizona
Description: More colleges and universities are using pre-employment background checks to minimize institutional liability, but the practice has its detractors in the academic community. This session will examine federal and state laws regulating these checks, explore approaches used to gain organizational “buy-in,” and describe the implementation challenges faced by one private college and one public university.
Details and registration for these events can be found on the CUPA-HR Website.
- Program Integrity Rulemaking to Be Delayed
- Associations Respond to McCaskill Sexual Assault Legislation
- COFAR Releases Frequently Asked Questions on OMB's Super Circular
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis