College and University Business Administration, 7th edition - Human Resources and Benefits Administration
As colleges and universities increasingly pursue their markets with a business-like orientation and discipline, the human resources organization has taken on a larger role. Once focused on tactical and transactional work, the human resources function now is acting as a strategic partner to the institution’s leadership as they grapple with issues such as workforce diversity, privacy, and security. This chapter also examines the employment cycle, compensation and rewards, employee relations, legal aspects if human resources, employee benefits, and retirement programs, as well as offers a list of other resources.
Fall 2014 Issue of HR Horizons Released.
Chief business and chief human resource officers must work together to address major issues and challenges related to institution workforce and mission. Learn about the NACUBO and CUPA-HR joint task force working to encourage greater collaboration among these core campus roles. Also in this issue: Resources for business officer professional development; tips for avoiding defined-contribution plan risks; a case study of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's paid time off program; and a roundup of resources and surveys that reflect issues of growing interest and importance in managing the higher education workforce.
Sponsored by Sibson Consultin and TIAA-CREF.
Perspectives Blog: Harnessing Value from Changing Demographic Workplace
by Bobbie Dillon
Examines how to bind the different values, needs, perceptions, and work styles in a multi-generational workforce into a cohesive, productive organization that can thrive in today’s challenging economic environment. These ideas were originally shared by presenters and participants at the NACUBO Thought Leaders Program: Changing Demographics, Changing Workplace, offered February 8-10, 2009, in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
(October 17, 2014)
- Rules Published on Contraceptive Coverage Under the Affordable Care Act
(September 4, 2014)
- Recent Executive Orders Aimed at Pay Gaps and Overtime Expansion
(April 18, 2014)
- Regional NLRB Rules on Northwestern Football Players
(April 3, 2014)
- Agencies Issue Guidance on Treatment of Same-Sex Marriages
(October 18, 2013)
- Final Rules on Coverage of Contraceptives
(July 10, 2013)
- Wellness Program Rules Finalized
(June 26, 2013)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Get Well Soon
- Business Intel
- Here's to Your Health Care
- Benefits of a Robust Onboard Orientation
- Business Intel
- An Easy Way to Enrich Employee Discount Programs
- The Business Case for Being Kind
- The Personal Touch
- Managing Faculty Talent
- Single Provider, Multiple Choices
- Career Headquarters - the premier nationwide resource for employment opportunities in higher education business, finance, and administration. Anyone can visit this site to post a job or search for a career-membership in the association is not a requirement.
- What's on Your HR Horizon? - Strategic human resource issues in higher education are covered in NACUBO's new quarterly e-newsletter. Subscribe for free.
- Human Resources eGroup: Update your subscription on NACUBO Connections.
- FLSA Resource Page
Business Organization Links
- CUPA-HR -- Founded more than 50 years ago, the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources serves more than 6,300 human resource (HR) administrators at nearly 1,600 colleges and universities as well as others interested in the advancement of human resources in higher education, including students and HR service providers.
- SHRM -- The Society for Human Resource Management is the world's largest association devoted to human resource management. Representing more than 175,000 individual members, the Society's mission is to serve the needs of HR professionals by providing the most essential and comprehensive resources available.
Director, Tax Policy
- Congress Finalizes FY15 Federal Budget
- ED Proposes Changes to Rules on Teacher Preparation Programs
- The Wait Continues on Tax Extenders and Terrorism Risk Insurance Renewal
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis