NACUBO Comments on Potential Changes to OMB Circulars
May 4, 2012
On April 30, NACUBO submitted comments to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) on proposed reforms to policies and circulars often used by colleges and universities. The comments raised concerns about implementation of a flat indirect cost rate, an increase in the threshold for triggering a single audit, the consolidation of cost principles into a single document, and more. NACUBO also expressed its support for extensive comments submitted by several associations representing research universities and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
On February 28, OMB published an Advance Notice of Proposed Guidance in the Federal Register that announced its intention to reform several policies affecting grants and cooperative agreements, including the cost principles. The ANPG laid out a number of suggestions, many from the federal and nonfederal financial assistance community, for reforming the OMB Circulars. While several proposed reforms could benefit colleges and universities, many of the suggested changes could seriously affect NACUBO members of all types.
After reviewing comments submitted on the ANPG, OMB will publish the proposed amendments for comment. A final notice, outlining the changes and effective dates, will likely be published by the end of the year.
Director, Accounting Policy
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis