Final SEC Rule on Municipal Advisors
September 20, 2013
In a press release dated September 18, 2013, the Securities and Exchange Commission approved registration rules for municipal advisors and exempted college and university board members and employees from the registration requirement. More than two years ago, NACUBO had informed our members of the proposed requirement for board members and employees to register as municipal advisors if they advised on how to invest proceeds of a bond offering.
The SEC adopted a final rule requiring municipal advisors to register with the Commission. The final rule clarifies the definition of a "municipal advisor." Specifically, this clarification exempts "Members of a board of trustees of a public or private non-profit university acting in their official capacity, where the university is an obligated person by virtue of borrowing proceeds of municipal bonds issued by a state governmental educational authority. Similarly, this exemption covers employees of a municipal entity or an obligated person to the extent that they act within the scope of their employment."
Senior Fellow, Finance and Campus Management
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET