Debt Financing & Managment
College and University Business Administration - Strategic Debt Management
By Paul Forte, Erin S. Gore, Mary Peloquin-Dodd, Amir Rahnamay-Azar, and Lee White with contributions from Caitlin Bertha and Yoon Lee. As core members of executive management, chief business officers are key players in campus administration. In the area of debt management, the chief business officer will likely have primary responsibility for educating the board and internal constituents about the reasons and consequences for selecting a particular financing strategy. Business officers must often explain the rationale for debt and the benefits of debt to audiences as well as manage the entire debt program.
Learn more about how to juggle this complex financing tool in this complimentary chapter of College and University Business Administration.
- Resource Page on Credit Ratings
- Moody's Cites Increasing Challenge of Managing Endowments. Citing a correlation between higher credit ratings and the execution of better investment management, Moody’s Investors Service's rating process is focusing more attention on an institution’s investment management and governance practices.
- What's a Central Bank? This holistic approach to building financial strength is not only for large, complex, decentralized universities. (Business Officer, December 2006)
- Risks and Rewards When executed under the right circumstances, swaps can help institutions achieve financial goals. (Business Officer, May 2006)
- Public-Private Partnerships Advance U.S. Higher Education Student Housing ProjectsStandard & Poor's report finds these partnerships beneficial in meeting the challenge of updating existing student housing facilities or developing new ones. S&P's rating methodology is also included.
- Debt Rules What’s a smart way to manage debt? Develop a policy that’s in sync with your institution’s strategic plan. (Business Officer, March 2006)
- Effectively Use Debt to Achieve Institutional Objectives - This on-demand webcast covers debt strategy and its relationship with the institution’s strategic plan, the basics of the capital markets and debt financing, the tools available in the capital markets, and the steps in the debt financing process. (April 11, 2006)
- George K. Baum & Company's comprehensive list of nonrecourse financed privatized student housing projects completed or in progress. (PDF)
- Nonrecourse Student Housing Financing Accounting & Reporting: A White Paper on Recent FASB & GASB Guidance George K. Baum & Company's analysis of recent accounting standards for nonrecourse student housing project debt. (PDF)
- How To Assess And Enhance Financial Health St. Bonaventure uses a ratio analysis based on a composite financial index to communicate financial strengths and weaknesses and carry out the strategic plan. (Business Officer, April 2003)
- Take A Strategic Direction With Debt The right strategy can direct your institution toward smart financing decisions about its entire debt portfolio. (Business Officer, September 2002)
- Moody's Cites Increasing Challenge of Managing Endowments
(June 26, 2007)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- All Debt on Deck
- Downturn Colors Debt Decisions
- Blending a Proper Mix
- Borrowing Takes on a Different Hue
- What Goes Up…
- Spinning Straw Into Gold
- Capital Ideas
- What's a Central Bank?
- Risks and Rewards
- Debt Rules
Director, Accounting Policy
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET