The Checks Are Almost in the Mail
October 7, 2009
More than $62 million in payments to 410 institutions that filed claims in the college and university class action for reimbursement of asbestos-related expenses have been approved by the court. This represents reimbursement for 15 percent of eligible expenses. NACUBO and the American Council on Education were instrumental in filing the suit, Central Wesleyan v. W.R. Grace, et al., more than 20 years ago.
Possible future settlements in connection with additional bankruptcies and a pending ruling from the Internal Revenue Service on the taxability of the settlement fund may result in a second round of payments to eligible institutions sometime in 2010 or 2011.
The window for filing claims was open from September 15, 2005, until March 15, 2006. The court also accepted some late claims in early 2008, but it will not accept any additional claims. The percentage of each claim being reimbursed is based on the ratio of the total value of all valid claims submitted to funds available for distribution.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Task Force Urges Regulatory Reform
- Legislators Take Action on Education, Charitable and Research Incentives
- Associations Comment on College Ratings System
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis