The Checks Are Almost in the Mail
October 7, 2009
More than $62 million in payments to 410 institutions that filed claims in the college and university class action for reimbursement of asbestos-related expenses have been approved by the court. This represents reimbursement for 15 percent of eligible expenses. NACUBO and the American Council on Education were instrumental in filing the suit, Central Wesleyan v. W.R. Grace, et al., more than 20 years ago.
Possible future settlements in connection with additional bankruptcies and a pending ruling from the Internal Revenue Service on the taxability of the settlement fund may result in a second round of payments to eligible institutions sometime in 2010 or 2011.
The window for filing claims was open from September 15, 2005, until March 15, 2006. The court also accepted some late claims in early 2008, but it will not accept any additional claims. The percentage of each claim being reimbursed is based on the ratio of the total value of all valid claims submitted to funds available for distribution.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET