EPA Continues Crackdown on Colleges and Universities
March 8, 2005
The Environmental Protection Agency's Region 1 and Region 2 continue to fine colleges and universities for violations of hazardous waste laws. Plymouth State University in New Hampshire faces a $171,500 penalty for violations uncovered during an EPA inspection last June that included improperly marking and storing hazardous waste. Plymouth State is not among the more than 175 university facilities in New England that are voluntarily participating in the College and University Audit Initiative, in which college and universities disclose and promptly correct violations before an EPA inspection occurs. A university spokesman said that more than $50,000 has already been spent to bring the university into compliance and they will work to see if an agreement can be reached with the EPA.
In a separate incident, Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York, has agreed to pay a $45,000 penalty to settle a complaint brought by the EPA’s Region 2. EPA cited the institution for safe handling and storage of hazardous waste violations. Clarkson has also entered into an agreement with the EPA to conduct self audits of its campus facilities and operations.
Learn more about the EPA’s Voluntary Audit Policy.
- Lawmakers Introduce Bills to Simplify Student Aid
- CFPB Proposes Draft Template for Student Banking Options
- Data on Campus Law Enforcement Released
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis