EPA Continues Crackdown on Colleges and Universities
March 8, 2005
The Environmental Protection Agency's Region 1 and Region 2 continue to fine colleges and universities for violations of hazardous waste laws. Plymouth State University in New Hampshire faces a $171,500 penalty for violations uncovered during an EPA inspection last June that included improperly marking and storing hazardous waste. Plymouth State is not among the more than 175 university facilities in New England that are voluntarily participating in the College and University Audit Initiative, in which college and universities disclose and promptly correct violations before an EPA inspection occurs. A university spokesman said that more than $50,000 has already been spent to bring the university into compliance and they will work to see if an agreement can be reached with the EPA.
In a separate incident, Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York, has agreed to pay a $45,000 penalty to settle a complaint brought by the EPA’s Region 2. EPA cited the institution for safe handling and storage of hazardous waste violations. Clarkson has also entered into an agreement with the EPA to conduct self audits of its campus facilities and operations.
Learn more about the EPA’s Voluntary Audit Policy.
- Affordable Care Act: Final Rules on Coverage for Adjuncts and Students
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis