Colleges Urged to Plan for Pandemic Flu
April 18, 2006
Colleges and universities were urged recently by Education Secretary Margaret Spellings to develop emergency plans, in concert with local and state governments, in case of an outbreak of pandemic influenza. She cautioned:
These are not issues that can be decided on the fly. When it comes to preparing our school community—from preschool all the way to college—there are three key steps to take: First, TALK to your local health officials and work together to develop a plan. Second, TRAIN your teachers and administrators to implement the plan. Finally, TEACH students and parents so they understand what to do in the event of a pandemic. You know, not Stop, Drop, and Roll—Talk, Train, and Teach.
A number of resources are available to help colleges and universities in the process.
- Federal agencies have combined their efforts to launch www.pandemicflu.gov, which includes a short planning checklist for colleges and universities, in addition to many other resources.
- A more comprehensive Blueprint for Pandemic Flu Preparedness Planning for Colleges and Universities has been developed by Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc., based on a World Health Organization checklist.
- A resource page including sample plans from several institutions has been prepared by the Campus Safety, Health, and Environmental Management Association (CSHEMA).
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis