Colleges Urged to Plan for Pandemic Flu
April 18, 2006
Colleges and universities were urged recently by Education Secretary Margaret Spellings to develop emergency plans, in concert with local and state governments, in case of an outbreak of pandemic influenza. She cautioned:
These are not issues that can be decided on the fly. When it comes to preparing our school community—from preschool all the way to college—there are three key steps to take: First, TALK to your local health officials and work together to develop a plan. Second, TRAIN your teachers and administrators to implement the plan. Finally, TEACH students and parents so they understand what to do in the event of a pandemic. You know, not Stop, Drop, and Roll—Talk, Train, and Teach.
A number of resources are available to help colleges and universities in the process.
- Federal agencies have combined their efforts to launch www.pandemicflu.gov, which includes a short planning checklist for colleges and universities, in addition to many other resources.
- A more comprehensive Blueprint for Pandemic Flu Preparedness Planning for Colleges and Universities has been developed by Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc., based on a World Health Organization checklist.
- A resource page including sample plans from several institutions has been prepared by the Campus Safety, Health, and Environmental Management Association (CSHEMA).
- Financial Responsibility Scores Released for FY13
- IRS Publishes Guidance on "Cadillac" Health Coverage
- 2014 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments Now Available Online
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis