Colleges Urged to Plan for Pandemic Flu
April 18, 2006
Colleges and universities were urged recently by Education Secretary Margaret Spellings to develop emergency plans, in concert with local and state governments, in case of an outbreak of pandemic influenza. She cautioned:
These are not issues that can be decided on the fly. When it comes to preparing our school community—from preschool all the way to college—there are three key steps to take: First, TALK to your local health officials and work together to develop a plan. Second, TRAIN your teachers and administrators to implement the plan. Finally, TEACH students and parents so they understand what to do in the event of a pandemic. You know, not Stop, Drop, and Roll—Talk, Train, and Teach.
A number of resources are available to help colleges and universities in the process.
- Federal agencies have combined their efforts to launch www.pandemicflu.gov, which includes a short planning checklist for colleges and universities, in addition to many other resources.
- A more comprehensive Blueprint for Pandemic Flu Preparedness Planning for Colleges and Universities has been developed by Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc., based on a World Health Organization checklist.
- A resource page including sample plans from several institutions has been prepared by the Campus Safety, Health, and Environmental Management Association (CSHEMA).
- Federal Education Budget Limited by Spending Caps
- Lawmakers Ease 1098-T Penalty Enforcement
- EPA Announces Athletic Conferences With Most Green Power
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
- ON-DEMAND: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis