Facilities and Environmental Compliance
In early April 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency released an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking regarding the reassessment of PCB use authorizations. NACUBO, along with five other higher education associations submitted the following comment letter encouraging the EPA to establish a use authorization for any PCB-containing caulk that was in use in college and university buildings prior to July 2, 1979. The authorization should allow for continued use of intact caulk (and any substrate material impacted thereby) for the useful life of the building. The premature removal of such caulking will impose an enormous financial burden on the college and university sector without correlative benefit to public health.
College and University Business Administration, 7th Edition - Facilities Management
This chapter covers the vast array of responsibilities associated with managing a higher education institution’s physical assets: campus planning; building and space management; facility planning, design, and construction; operations and maintenance; energy and sustainability; and real estate ownership.
- 2013 Thought Leaders Symposium — More than three dozen higher education leaders—including presidents, provosts, business officers, consultants, association executives, and facilities professionals—participated in a facilitated discussion and work session to identify, prioritize, and recommend solutions on the issues related to the cost of higher education.
- CampusERC - Help your institution join campuses nationwide in proactively improving regulatory compliance, reducing air emissions, minimizing waste, conserving water, and integrating sustainability into their campus operations with this valuable online resource
- Campus Sustainability — Learn about the economic benefits of green initiatives on your campus and find links to organizations, publications, and institutions that encourage responsible environmental management and practices.
- Asbestos Litigation - NACUBO has been involved in pursuing reimbursement for costs of asbestos abatement for colleges and universities since the mid-1980s. In 1987, NACUBO, ACE and a group of institutions contributed funds to sponsor a class action suit against asbestos companies (Central Wesleyan v. W.R. Grace, et.al) that was filed in the U.S. District Court in South Carolina.
- Learning Spaces for 21st Century Students
(November 27, 2013)
- EPA Revises Rules for Non-Gas Fired Boilers
(June 13, 2013)
- Upcoming Events in Sustainability
(June 3, 2013)
- NACUBO Members Take Concerns to Capitol Hill
(September 19, 2012)
- Comments Wanted on NFPA Security Standards
(December 14, 2011)
- New EPA Boiler Rule Affects Colleges and Universities
(September 23, 2011)
- EPA: Technical Corrections to Academic Labs Rule
(December 20, 2010)
- DoJ: Final Rules ADA Title III Public Accommodations and Commercial Facilities
(September 15, 2010)
- DoJ: Final Rules ADA Title II State and Local Government Services
(September 15, 2010)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Spatial Concepts
- Vantage Point
- What’s Next for Text?
- Revival of the Fittest
- Strategic Capital Funding on a Smaller Scale
- Flagship Focuses on Failing Facilities
- Vantage Point
- The Horse Before the Cart
- Business Intel
Regulatory Initiative -- Reducing the RCRA Burden
NACUBO is working to engage the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in a cooperative effort toward environmental excellence on college campuses. Through this initiative, NACUBO aims to foster a dialogue with EPA about the application of certain environmental regulations to the activities of colleges and universities.
NACUBO surveyed members about the hazardous waste management function at their institutions as part of our ongoing efforts to inform the EPA about the difficulties of applying some waste management rules to academic labs.
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis