Facilities and Environmental Compliance
Campus Environmental Resources Center
Campus ERC is to provide individuals and educational institutions with the knowledge and tools to maintain environmental regulatory compliance, improve management, and operate sustainably.
College and University Business Administration, 7th Edition - Facilities Management
This chapter covers the vast array of responsibilities associated with managing a higher education institution’s physical assets: campus planning; building and space management; facility planning, design, and construction; operations and maintenance; energy and sustainability; and real estate ownership.
Free Webinars and Resources
The Department of Energy has an entire sector devoted to improving higher educatioin buildings.
Check out information on the many campuses that have highlighted activities.
- The Association of Governing Boards has provided free access to podcasts and videos with governance experts on a variety of topics related to higher education. Of particular interest to Business Officers are What Money Can't Solve, Fundraising with Rita Bornstein, and Fundraising and Foundations with Michael Worth. The video Strategic Planning at Public and Independent Institutions, with Tom Longin, former provost of Ithaca college, is also available.
- University of California Irvine. "Home Run" Energy Retrofits (Proven measures with near-certain cost/benefit results)
- George Mason University: Solving complex policy problems: A new school built on existing strength
- George Mason University—Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence illustrates how George Mason finds interested faculty to teach in this general university classroom.
- The LSC Guide: Planning for Assessing 21st Century Spaces for 21st Century Learners. This guide, developed by a working group convened by the LSC, is a template for exploring such questions. It is intended to advance efforts on individual campuses to imagine and shape new spaces, reimagine and repurpose existing spaces; it is intended to inform the national dialogue about why attention to physical learning environments matters.
- 2013 Thought Leaders Symposium — More than three dozen higher education leaders—including presidents, provosts, business officers, consultants, association executives, and facilities professionals—participated in a facilitated discussion and work session to identify, prioritize, and recommend solutions on the issues related to the cost of higher education.
- CampusERC - Help your institution join campuses nationwide in proactively improving regulatory compliance, reducing air emissions, minimizing waste, conserving water, and integrating sustainability into their campus operations with this valuable online resource
- Campus Sustainability — Learn about the economic benefits of green initiatives on your campus and find links to organizations, publications, and institutions that encourage responsible environmental management and practices.
- Asbestos Litigation - NACUBO has been involved in pursuing reimbursement for costs of asbestos abatement for colleges and universities since the mid-1980s. In 1987, NACUBO, ACE and a group of institutions contributed funds to sponsor a class action suit against asbestos companies (Central Wesleyan v. W.R. Grace, et.al) that was filed in the U.S. District Court in South Carolina.
- Share Your Campus Efficiency Story in Nashville
(June 1, 2015)
- Key Facilities Metrics Survey Results Now Available
(May 18, 2015)
- Fourth and Final Sustainability On-Demand Video Released
(March 3, 2015)
- What Color Is Your Roof? White Wins Out
(February 5, 2014)
- Learning Spaces for 21st Century Students
(November 27, 2013)
- EPA Revises Rules for Non-Gas Fired Boilers
(June 13, 2013)
- NACUBO Members Take Concerns to Capitol Hill
(September 19, 2012)
- Comments Wanted on NFPA Security Standards
(December 14, 2011)
- New EPA Boiler Rule Affects Colleges and Universities
(September 23, 2011)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- A Method to the Menu
- Seeding a Campus Transformation
- On Balance
- Spatial Concepts
- Vantage Point
- What’s Next for Text?
- Revival of the Fittest
- Strategic Capital Funding on a Smaller Scale
- Flagship Focuses on Failing Facilities
- Vantage Point
Regulatory Initiative -- Reducing the RCRA Burden
NACUBO is working to engage the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in a cooperative effort toward environmental excellence on college campuses. Through this initiative, NACUBO aims to foster a dialogue with EPA about the application of certain environmental regulations to the activities of colleges and universities.
NACUBO surveyed members about the hazardous waste management function at their institutions as part of our ongoing efforts to inform the EPA about the difficulties of applying some waste management rules to academic labs.
Sally Grans Korsh
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy