Facilities and Environmental Compliance
In early April 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency released an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking regarding the reassessment of PCB use authorizations. NACUBO, along with five other higher education associations submitted the following comment letter encouraging the EPA to establish a use authorization for any PCB-containing caulk that was in use in college and university buildings prior to July 2, 1979. The authorization should allow for continued use of intact caulk (and any substrate material impacted thereby) for the useful life of the building. The premature removal of such caulking will impose an enormous financial burden on the college and university sector without correlative benefit to public health.
College and University Business Administration, 7th Edition - Facilities Management
This chapter covers the vast array of responsibilities associated with managing a higher education institution’s physical assets: campus planning; building and space management; facility planning, design, and construction; operations and maintenance; energy and sustainability; and real estate ownership.
- CampusERC - Help your institution join campuses nationwide in proactively improving regulatory compliance, reducing air emissions, minimizing waste, conserving water, and integrating sustainability into their campus operations with this valuable online resource
- Campus Sustainability -- Learn about the economic benefits of green initiatives on your campus and find links to organizations, publications, and institutions that encourage responsible environmental management and practices.
- Asbestos Litigation - NACUBO has been involved in pursuing reimbursement for costs of asbestos abatement for colleges and universities since the mid-1980s. In 1987, NACUBO, ACE and a group of institutions contributed funds to sponsor a class action suit against asbestos companies (Central Wesleyan v. W.R. Grace, et.al) that was filed in the U.S. District Court in South Carolina.
- NACUBO Members Take Concerns to Capitol Hill
(September 19, 2012)
- Comments Wanted on NFPA Security Standards
(December 14, 2011)
- New EPA Boiler Rule Affects Colleges and Universities
(September 23, 2011)
- EPA: Technical Corrections to Academic Labs Rule
(December 20, 2010)
- DoJ: Final Rules ADA Title III Public Accommodations and Commercial Facilities
(September 15, 2010)
- DoJ: Final Rules ADA Title II State and Local Government Services
(September 15, 2010)
- Revised ADA Regulations Released
(August 11, 2010)
- EPA Looking at PCB Levels in Caulk
(June 7, 2010)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- What’s Next for Text?
- Revival of the Fittest
- Strategic Capital Funding on a Smaller Scale
- Flagship Focuses on Failing Facilities
- The Horse Before the Cart
- Inner Spaces
- Wise Buys
- Renovation and Revival
- Stewards by Nature
Regulatory Initiative -- Reducing the RCRA Burden
NACUBO is working to engage the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in a cooperative effort toward environmental excellence on college campuses. Through this initiative, NACUBO aims to foster a dialogue with EPA about the application of certain environmental regulations to the activities of colleges and universities.
NACUBO surveyed members about the hazardous waste management function at their institutions as part of our ongoing efforts to inform the EPA about the difficulties of applying some waste management rules to academic labs.
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis