Transportation Safety Guide Available
June 27, 2006
Don't wait for an accident to focus your attention on student transportation risks.
A new publication, Safety in Student Transportation: A Resource Guide for Colleges and Universities, analyzes the risks of various types of travel and offers many suggestions, sample policies and forms, and external resources for institutions to use to improve travel policies and procedures. Acknowledging that decisions about student travel must balance risk, convenience, and cost, and that institutional circumstances vary considerably, the guide provides multiple choices.
Road travel is covered extensively, including vehicle maintenance, driver qualifications, types of vehicles, and safe driving practices. Also discussed are policies that institutions might adopt to ensure safer air travel, and ways to protect the college or university from liability through waivers and contracts.
This project was undertaken by the American Council on Education, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and United Educators Insurance, at the request of the National Transportation Safety Board. The NTSB was impressed with policy changes made by Oklahoma State University after a charter plane carrying members of the basketball team crashed in 2001.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis