Transportation Safety Guide Available
June 27, 2006
Don't wait for an accident to focus your attention on student transportation risks.
A new publication, Safety in Student Transportation: A Resource Guide for Colleges and Universities, analyzes the risks of various types of travel and offers many suggestions, sample policies and forms, and external resources for institutions to use to improve travel policies and procedures. Acknowledging that decisions about student travel must balance risk, convenience, and cost, and that institutional circumstances vary considerably, the guide provides multiple choices.
Road travel is covered extensively, including vehicle maintenance, driver qualifications, types of vehicles, and safe driving practices. Also discussed are policies that institutions might adopt to ensure safer air travel, and ways to protect the college or university from liability through waivers and contracts.
This project was undertaken by the American Council on Education, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and United Educators Insurance, at the request of the National Transportation Safety Board. The NTSB was impressed with policy changes made by Oklahoma State University after a charter plane carrying members of the basketball team crashed in 2001.
- Tax Overhaul Would Impact Students, Employees, and Campus Finances
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis