Performance Measurement and the Accounting Standards Boards
Both the Governmental Accoounting Standards Board(GASB)and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) have launched long-term projects to address performance measurement.
GASB issued concept statements in 1987 and again in 1994 emphasizing public accountability and linking it to external financial reporting. At one point it seemed likely that the GASB would require performance measures (metrics) as a component of public institutions’ financial statements. The current focus of the project is on encouraging experimentation with external reporting of performance information, and providing nonauthoritative guidance for the communication of performance information. Recently the GASB published suggested criteria for effective performance reporting that included a direct request for input and experimentation by various branches of government as well as by public higher education.
The GASB SEA project page provides the latest developments on the GASB project.
The FASB project, Financial Performance Reporting by Business Enterprises, A proposal was developed in 2001 and is expected to result in a final Statement of Financial Accounting Standards. To further its goal of promoting convergence of accounting standards used internationally, the Board has partnered with the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) on this project.
The FASB financial reporting project page provides the latest developments on the FASB project.
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis