Performance Measurement and the Accounting Standards Boards
Both the Governmental Accoounting Standards Board(GASB)and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) have launched long-term projects to address performance measurement.
GASB issued concept statements in 1987 and again in 1994 emphasizing public accountability and linking it to external financial reporting. At one point it seemed likely that the GASB would require performance measures (metrics) as a component of public institutions’ financial statements. The current focus of the project is on encouraging experimentation with external reporting of performance information, and providing nonauthoritative guidance for the communication of performance information. Recently the GASB published suggested criteria for effective performance reporting that included a direct request for input and experimentation by various branches of government as well as by public higher education.
The GASB SEA project page provides the latest developments on the GASB project.
The FASB project, Financial Performance Reporting by Business Enterprises, A proposal was developed in 2001 and is expected to result in a final Statement of Financial Accounting Standards. To further its goal of promoting convergence of accounting standards used internationally, the Board has partnered with the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) on this project.
The FASB financial reporting project page provides the latest developments on the FASB project.
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis