Performance Measurement and the Accounting Standards Boards
Both the Governmental Accoounting Standards Board(GASB)and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) have launched long-term projects to address performance measurement.
GASB issued concept statements in 1987 and again in 1994 emphasizing public accountability and linking it to external financial reporting. At one point it seemed likely that the GASB would require performance measures (metrics) as a component of public institutions’ financial statements. The current focus of the project is on encouraging experimentation with external reporting of performance information, and providing nonauthoritative guidance for the communication of performance information. Recently the GASB published suggested criteria for effective performance reporting that included a direct request for input and experimentation by various branches of government as well as by public higher education.
The GASB SEA project page provides the latest developments on the GASB project.
The FASB project, Financial Performance Reporting by Business Enterprises, A proposal was developed in 2001 and is expected to result in a final Statement of Financial Accounting Standards. To further its goal of promoting convergence of accounting standards used internationally, the Board has partnered with the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) on this project.
The FASB financial reporting project page provides the latest developments on the FASB project.
- Senator Releases Survey Results on Sexual Assault
- ED Unveils 2014 College Cost Watch Lists
- Inflation-Adjusted Net Tuition Revenue at Private Institutions Flat
- ON-DEMAND: Call the Internal Consultants: Lessons from Business Practice Improvement
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis