Managerial accounting uses financial statement, internal qualitative, and cost accounting data to provide information to management for decision making.
Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
Managerial Analysis and Decision Support (MADS) was conceived and developed by the Managerial Accounting Subcommittee of NACUBO’s Accounting Principles Committee. MADS is currently an online publication that is designed to help you make sense of today's world and provide the right tools to make the right decisions.
NACUBO Cost of College Project
The NACUBO Cost of College Project develops a common methodology for calculating the cost of an undergraduate education at the full range of colleges and universities around the country.
- Perhaps the best example of cost accounting in higher education is the accumulation, recording and analysis of cost data by research universities when preparing the facilities and administrative rate study for negotiation with the federal government and other research sponsors. Office of Management and Budget circulars, particularly A-21, provides cost pool allocation rules. You can find the OMB circulars on the OMB Web site.
- During the mid-1990s, a NACUBO task force drafted an alternative approach for calculating unrelated business income (UBI) for colleges and universities. The methodology was reviewed by the membership, major accounting firms, and government officials from IRS, HHS, and OMB. It was then submitted to the Internal Revenue Service in the form of a draft revenue procedure.
Integrated Planning and Budgeting
- NACUBO Workshop on May 17 and 18, 2004 includes presentations, best practice examples and group exercises.
- Planning & Budgeting Business Officer Magazine articles of interest.
Comparative Financial statistics
This study provides institutions with an opportunity to conduct peer analyses useful to institutional decision-making. The survey draws primarily from the IPEDS finance survey and a survey to collect enrollment and staffing data.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis