Volunteers Needed for OPEB Field Tests
July 25, 2014
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) is looking for field testers for its proposed other postemployment benefits (OPEB) requirements. Field testers volunteer time to work through provisions of GASB's latest Exposure Draft (ED), "Accounting and Financial Reporting for Postemployment Benefits Other Than Pensions," that will change accounting and financial reporting requirements for OPEB. Public institutions serving as volunteers will test provisions of the proposal for employers.
Field tests are part of due process activities that help GASB establish effective standards. Such field work helps uncover issues that preparers may have when implementing GASB's new guidance. Public institutions that volunteer have the advantage of practicing implementation while working directly with GASB staff. This experience can help sort out ambiguous or difficult aspects of the guidance and allows volunteers to provide feedback directly to the Board regarding process and challenges. Discoveries can benefit other higher education preparers by providing input to GASB's implementation guidance.
OPEB is considered a form of compensation, like salaries and pensions, which governments provide to their employees in return for work. The most common example of OPEB is postemployment health care. The ED for employers proposes that OPEB be accounted for and reported based on essentially the same approach and methods GASB recently required for pension benefits. The proposal would establish a standard for measuring, recognizing, and reporting liabilities, deferred outflows and inflows of resources, expenses, and disclosures.
Director, Accounting Policy
- ED Launches New College Scorecard
- NACUBO Members Convey Legislative Priorities on Capitol Hill
- Panelists Detail Complex Campus Sexual Assault Regulations at Hearing
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis