Proposed FSP on Prior-Year Misstatements
March 21, 2007
A FASB Staff Position (FSP) proposal would extend guidance issued by an SEC Staff Accounting Bulletin (SAB) to non-registrants, meaning not-for-profits and other nongovernmental entities.
In September 2006, the SEC staff issued SAB No. 108, "Considering the Effects of Prior Year Misstatements when Quantifying Misstatements in Current Year Financial Statements," to clarify FASB Statement 154, "Accounting Changes and Error Corrections." SFAS 154 guidance addresses error corrections and restatement requirements when the reporting misstatement is material but does not address the evaluation of materiality. Because SAB 108 quantifies a misstatement as a basis for evaluating the materiality of the misstatement in current year's financial statements, its intention is to conform the reporting of error corrections by all registrants.
The proposed FSP seeks to conform the reporting of error corrections between SEC registrants and other entities. The FSP applies to nongovernmental entities that are not currently subject to the requirements of SAB 108. Consequently, entities subject to the FSP include privately held companies and not-for-profit organizations, such as independent higher education institutions.
The FSP proposal deals with evaluating the materiality of a misstatement by defining and illustrating approaches for quantifying the effect of the misstatement on an organization's current-year financial statements. The FSP would be effective for financial statements issued for fiscal years ending after June 15, 2007, or the current fiscal year for most institutions. The comment deadline for the proposed FSP is April 30, 2007. NACUBO encourages members to comment directly to FASB or to share thoughts with NACUBO by contacting Sue Menditto. The proposed FSP is available from FASB.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis