NACUBO Submits Comments on Changes to Fair Value Measurements and Disclosures
September 8, 2010
In an attempt to align U.S. GAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) with regard to fair value measurements and disclosures, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) issued for comment an exposure draft (ED) in June 2010. The ED proposes new disclosures requirements which include a measurement uncertainty analysis for recurring Level 3 fair value measurements. This analysis is the most significant of the proposed disclosures, and potentially the most problematic. Organizations would be required to disclose the effects on Level 3 fair value measurements for changes in unobservable inputs when another input could reasonably have been substituted and would have resulted in a significant difference in fair value. The FASB proposed a similar disclosure requirement in an exposure draft issued in 2009, but received numerous comments from respondents expressing concern about the time and effort involved in preparing such disclosures. As a result, the requirement was not included in the Accounting Standards Update as issued.
The ED also addresses the concept of highest and best value, measuring fair value of financial instruments managed within a portfolio on the basis of net exposure to a particular risk, and application of blockage factors and other premiums and discounts in fair value measurements. These proposed changes are not expected to have a significant impact on colleges and universities.
The Accounting Principles Council (APC) of NACUBO has issued a comment letter to the FASB in response to the ED expressing concerns about the measurement uncertainty analysis and the inclusion, in general, of not-for-profit organizations in recently issued and possible future standards.
Director, Accounting Policy
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis