Increased Disclosures about Postretirement Benefit Plan Assets Proposed
March 19, 2008
The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) has issued proposed FASB Staff Position (FSP) No. 132(R)-a, Employers’ Disclosures about Postretirement Benefit Plan Assets. The purpose of the proposal would increase disclosures about the types of assets held in postretirement benefit plans. Impacted organizations should provide comments to the FASB by May 2, 2008.
This proposed FSP would amend FASB Statement No. 132 (revised 2003), Employers’ Disclosures about Pensions and Other Postretirement Benefits, to improve public and nonpublic employers’ disclosures about postretirement benefit plan assets. Additionally, this proposed FSP includes a technical amendment to Statement 132(R) that would require a nonpublic entity to disclose net periodic benefit cost.
The proposed amendments to improve disclosures about plan assets include:
- A principle for disclosing the fair value of categories of plan assets based on the types of assets held in the plan;
- Categories of plan assets that, if significant, should be disclosed;
- Disclosures about the nature and amount of concentrations of risk arising within or across categories of plan assets; and
- Disclosures about fair value measurements similar to those required by FASB Statement No. 157, Fair Value Measurements.
The disclosures about plan assets required by this proposed FSP would be applied on a prospective basis for fiscal years ending after December 15, 2008. Earlier application would not be permitted.
Individuals and organizations are invited to submit comments on the proposed guidance. Interested parties should submit their comments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, File Reference: Proposed FSP FAS 132 (R)-a.
- Broad Coalition Presses for Expansion of Employer-Provided Tuition Benefits
- New GASB Standard Tackles Fiduciary Activities
- New Report Details Charitable Giving to Colleges and Universities
- WEBCAST: Planning Components of Civil Discourse
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Student Financial Services Conference