Increased Disclosures about Postretirement Benefit Plan Assets Proposed
March 19, 2008
The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) has issued proposed FASB Staff Position (FSP) No. 132(R)-a, Employers’ Disclosures about Postretirement Benefit Plan Assets. The purpose of the proposal would increase disclosures about the types of assets held in postretirement benefit plans. Impacted organizations should provide comments to the FASB by May 2, 2008.
This proposed FSP would amend FASB Statement No. 132 (revised 2003), Employers’ Disclosures about Pensions and Other Postretirement Benefits, to improve public and nonpublic employers’ disclosures about postretirement benefit plan assets. Additionally, this proposed FSP includes a technical amendment to Statement 132(R) that would require a nonpublic entity to disclose net periodic benefit cost.
The proposed amendments to improve disclosures about plan assets include:
- A principle for disclosing the fair value of categories of plan assets based on the types of assets held in the plan;
- Categories of plan assets that, if significant, should be disclosed;
- Disclosures about the nature and amount of concentrations of risk arising within or across categories of plan assets; and
- Disclosures about fair value measurements similar to those required by FASB Statement No. 157, Fair Value Measurements.
The disclosures about plan assets required by this proposed FSP would be applied on a prospective basis for fiscal years ending after December 15, 2008. Earlier application would not be permitted.
Individuals and organizations are invited to submit comments on the proposed guidance. Interested parties should submit their comments by email to email@example.com, File Reference: Proposed FSP FAS 132 (R)-a.
- Federal Education Budget Limited by Spending Caps
- Lawmakers Ease 1098-T Penalty Enforcement
- EPA Announces Athletic Conferences With Most Green Power
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
- ON-DEMAND: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis