Increased Disclosures about Postretirement Benefit Plan Assets Proposed
March 19, 2008
The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) has issued proposed FASB Staff Position (FSP) No. 132(R)-a, Employers’ Disclosures about Postretirement Benefit Plan Assets. The purpose of the proposal would increase disclosures about the types of assets held in postretirement benefit plans. Impacted organizations should provide comments to the FASB by May 2, 2008.
This proposed FSP would amend FASB Statement No. 132 (revised 2003), Employers’ Disclosures about Pensions and Other Postretirement Benefits, to improve public and nonpublic employers’ disclosures about postretirement benefit plan assets. Additionally, this proposed FSP includes a technical amendment to Statement 132(R) that would require a nonpublic entity to disclose net periodic benefit cost.
The proposed amendments to improve disclosures about plan assets include:
- A principle for disclosing the fair value of categories of plan assets based on the types of assets held in the plan;
- Categories of plan assets that, if significant, should be disclosed;
- Disclosures about the nature and amount of concentrations of risk arising within or across categories of plan assets; and
- Disclosures about fair value measurements similar to those required by FASB Statement No. 157, Fair Value Measurements.
The disclosures about plan assets required by this proposed FSP would be applied on a prospective basis for fiscal years ending after December 15, 2008. Earlier application would not be permitted.
Individuals and organizations are invited to submit comments on the proposed guidance. Interested parties should submit their comments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, File Reference: Proposed FSP FAS 132 (R)-a.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis