Increased Disclosures about Postretirement Benefit Plan Assets Proposed
March 19, 2008
The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) has issued proposed FASB Staff Position (FSP) No. 132(R)-a, Employers’ Disclosures about Postretirement Benefit Plan Assets. The purpose of the proposal would increase disclosures about the types of assets held in postretirement benefit plans. Impacted organizations should provide comments to the FASB by May 2, 2008.
This proposed FSP would amend FASB Statement No. 132 (revised 2003), Employers’ Disclosures about Pensions and Other Postretirement Benefits, to improve public and nonpublic employers’ disclosures about postretirement benefit plan assets. Additionally, this proposed FSP includes a technical amendment to Statement 132(R) that would require a nonpublic entity to disclose net periodic benefit cost.
The proposed amendments to improve disclosures about plan assets include:
- A principle for disclosing the fair value of categories of plan assets based on the types of assets held in the plan;
- Categories of plan assets that, if significant, should be disclosed;
- Disclosures about the nature and amount of concentrations of risk arising within or across categories of plan assets; and
- Disclosures about fair value measurements similar to those required by FASB Statement No. 157, Fair Value Measurements.
The disclosures about plan assets required by this proposed FSP would be applied on a prospective basis for fiscal years ending after December 15, 2008. Earlier application would not be permitted.
Individuals and organizations are invited to submit comments on the proposed guidance. Interested parties should submit their comments by email to email@example.com, File Reference: Proposed FSP FAS 132 (R)-a.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET