GASB Statement Codifies Certain AICPA Guidance
April 23, 2009
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) has issued Statement No. 56, "Codification of Accounting and Financial Reporting Guidance Contained in the AICPA Statements on Auditing Standards." Statement 56 guidance addresses three issues from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ (AICPA) literature-related party transactions, going concern considerations, and subsequent events.
Statement 56 incorporates guidance that previously was only contained in the AICPA’s auditing literature into GASB’s accounting and financial reporting literature for governmental entities. This statement brings existing guidance (to the extent appropriate in a governmental environment) without substantive changes into the GASB’s body of standards. Statement 56 is part of the GASB’s effort to codify all generally accepted accounting principles for state and local governments so that they derive from a single source. This is intended to make it easier for preparers to identify and apply relevant accounting guidance. Statement 56 is effective immediately. To obtain a copy of the statement, log on to www.gasb.org.
Staff Resource: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy
- NACUBO and FASB Discuss Grant Revenue Recognition
- ED Proposes Auditing Safeguards Rule Compliance
- NACUBO and ACE to Negotiate Rates for Use of Music on Campus
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 7-9, 2017
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis in Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections and Clarifications
Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Results of the 2016 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
- ON-DEMAND: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO