GASB Seeks Field Testers
March 10, 2010
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) is hoping public institutions will volunteer for a field test. The test is being conducted in conjunction with the issuance of an exposure draft related to the "financial reporting entity" project. The proposed statement is scheduled to be released March 26, 2010. The financial reporting entity project would amend Statements No. 14, "The Financial Reporting Entity", and No. 34, "Basic Financial Statements-and Management's Discussion and Analysis-for State and Local Governments."
Field tests are a part of GASB's due process activities that help establish effective standards. Participating public institutions would go through the exercise of "implementing'' the proposed standard as if it were in place and then provide feedback to the GASB regarding that process. Field tests can help point out potential problems.
The "financial reporting entity" project is an important one for higher education. Changes to Statement 14 may ultimately impact blended and discrete component unit reporting. NACUBO urges all interested public institutions to volunteer for the field test by contacting GASB Project Manager Wesley Galloway either by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (203) 956-5272.Interested institutions can refer to GASB's website for more information.
Director, Accounting Policy
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis