GASB Seeks Comments on SEA Performance Reporting
September 11, 2008
The GASB has issued a "Request for Response" document to gather feedback from constituents. The GASB’s objective is to develop guidelines - not accounting and reporting standards - for organizations that voluntarily choose to report on their service efforts and accomplishments.
The GASB acknowledges that it is beyond its scope to establish the goals and objectives of governmental organizations, including public colleges and universities. However, because SEA performance reporting can provide important qualitative information about a government’s effectiveness and accountability, the GASB seeks to assist organizations who want to develop and report such nonfinancial measures of service performance.
The GASB identifies four essential components of an effective SEA report and six qualitative characteristics of SEA performance information. The four components are:
- purpose and scope
- major goals and objectives
- key measures of SEA performance
- discussion and analysis of results and challenges
The six qualitative characteristics, as set forth in Concepts Statement No. 2, Service Efforts and Accomplishments Reporting, are:
NACUBO encourages public institutions to review the proposed guidelines and provide feedback to the GASB by October 31, 2008. Member institutions can also help inform NACUBO comments by providing by providing feedback to Sue Menditto, Director, accounting policy.
- Affordable Care Act: Final Rules on Coverage for Adjuncts and Students
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis