GASB Reissues OPEB Exposure Draft
January 30, 2004
After considering the comments it received, on January 30, 2004 the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) released a revised Exposure Draft (ED) on Other Post Employment Benefits (OPEB)
The GASB now believes that implicit rate subsidies should not be exempted from a college’s calculation of its OPEB costs and obligations. An implicit rate subsidy occurs when retirees participate in the same healthcare plan as active employees and pay premiums that do not necessarily reflect the age-graded claims cost for retirees. Even though retirees pay 100% of their premiums, the premium is considered subsidized because the lower risk of younger employees reduces the premium charged to retirees.
NACUBO survey results for 168 public institutions indicate that 25% of institutions have an implicit subsidy and will be affected by this change. Public institutions should pay close attention, comments are due to the GASB by April 30, 2004 and the GASB intends to finalize the employer ED by June 30, 2004. All members are strongly encouraged to use the 90-day comment period to respond to the GASB.
The ED can be downloaded from the GASB web site, http://www.gasb.org/.
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis