GASB Reissues OPEB Exposure Draft
January 30, 2004
After considering the comments it received, on January 30, 2004 the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) released a revised Exposure Draft (ED) on Other Post Employment Benefits (OPEB)
The GASB now believes that implicit rate subsidies should not be exempted from a college’s calculation of its OPEB costs and obligations. An implicit rate subsidy occurs when retirees participate in the same healthcare plan as active employees and pay premiums that do not necessarily reflect the age-graded claims cost for retirees. Even though retirees pay 100% of their premiums, the premium is considered subsidized because the lower risk of younger employees reduces the premium charged to retirees.
NACUBO survey results for 168 public institutions indicate that 25% of institutions have an implicit subsidy and will be affected by this change. Public institutions should pay close attention, comments are due to the GASB by April 30, 2004 and the GASB intends to finalize the employer ED by June 30, 2004. All members are strongly encouraged to use the 90-day comment period to respond to the GASB.
The ED can be downloaded from the GASB web site, http://www.gasb.org/.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis